Hoarder Barbie trashes her Dream House

Home Sweet Home.

(Yeah, I need to do some cleaning)

What is this “not reading” phenomenon. Don’t most people go through at least two books from the bag on the same evening they bring them home?

5 Likes

I have the reverse problem because i read too fast. I generally can’t afford to buy many books so i stockpile a bunch, i don’t read them for a long time and then i run through them in no time. I’m currently sitting on around 8-12 unread books i would like to get to, i just need to force myself to start.

3 Likes

The library part totally looks like my house, or parts of it. It’s just that your books exceed your shelves. (I know, maybe that’s a problem, but if you are a book lover it is not a big problem). The rest of it, not so much.

5 Likes

It’s a shame an obvious and rational book lover has to be roommates with that slob. I hope that mess is contained and doesn’t spill into the book sanctuary.

5 Likes

This is why I’m right now in the process of upgrading and adding more book shelving in my home library. Gotta clear up room on the floor for more overflow.

Yep, social media has been a little helpful to me, but you so much as make a peep about compensation on a site like say…rhymes with scrimmager, and your post gets downvoted out of existence.
People will consume you, but they won’t pay for the privilege.

1 Like

Do you have Kindle Unlimited? I haven’t signed up for it because I usually want to read specific books, not just whatever happens to be available, but if you’re really having trouble finding enough to read, $10 a month for unlimited access to a million-plus books seems like a pretty good deal.

(I assume you’ve been through everything worth reading at your local library.)

1 Like

The internet is great for getting wider attention but there’s instances where translating that into tangible success and income is not directly obvious. The artist in question was trying to make money off prints of shots she took of the miniature model, and while doable the pictures exist online and they’re not the kind of pictures i’d want on my wall.

I think her abilities would be perfect for her to try to get a job for a studio that does movie miniatures for live action or stop motion. Maybe get hired to do high quality miniatures for various types of museums?

I like having physical books but i have considered the Kindle Unlimited in the past. I’m just too cheap to buy myself a dedicated reading tablet. And i can’t be bothered to go to the library lol, nearest one to me i think is downtown and i hate going there.

I have kindle unlimited. It can be a crap shoot, but a lot of the books on there are really good. Like Glynn Stewart’s Starship’s Mage series, Will Wight, and Rachel Aaron. Also a lot of libraries now have apps you can use to borrow ebooks online and read on your device. As for a dedicated tablet, maybe I’m odd, but I use my phone to read ebooks.

2 Likes

That’s certainly possible. I’m also
thinking that she might try working as a set designer for a stop-motion animation house.

About her marketing woes, I sympathize with her. It’s such a niche product, I can see why it’s hard to market, although her sales might be simply suffering from an issue with perception.
I was telling people for months that I could paint portraits of humans that were of good quality and visually interesting composition, but I kept recieving requests for pet portraits. It wasn’t until I actually painted a portrait of humans and displayed it the other day, that people “got the picture”. Pun intended.
What I would do is show an example of one of her dioramas in a formal home setting, sort of like the “view it on a wall” apps that painters use to market their work.

1 Like

Pretty accurate. I have worked in many of these places and also have some neighbors who easily fit this bill. It’s challenging for them, as it seems at times like an addiction. Some just see the value in things, like the way things look, and hate to have it go to the landfill. I think it is a modern metal disorder on the OCD spectrum. But the truth is, if they aren’t hurting anyone or creating a public health danger (vermin-infested place, fire hazards, etc) who’s to judge?

I once was told by a friend that his neighbor might have the computer part I needed. We walked over there (public-housing apartments on the same car court) to ask, he let me in and his entire unit as far as I could see in was stacked floor to ceiling with computer parts, old computers, etc - there were only sidle-through sideways paths through the unit to the various rooms, ones to the kitchen appliance triangle, etc. Floor to ceiling neat piles. HE walked right to a stack, pulled out a shoebox and handed me the parts.Some guys know where everything is despite the seeming chaos.

I’ve worked in other places where there was only a foot of doorway showing to many of the rooms, to get in one had to crawl on the piles as if the entire house was filled with water to 6 feet. The people were only living in a few small rooms of this giant old house; to access the plumbing panel we had to “dig a hole” by re-stacking things to get the 4 feet down to the floor.

For a person like me with a keen eye for the interesting object it’s amazing to look around in places like this, but again, I think it is a uniquely modern problem, symptomatic of our culture of mass production.

1 Like

I think culling is when you move the bookshelves away from the wall a bit and box up you least commonly read books and stack them behind the shelves.

Maybe?

3 Likes

Kindle unlimited saves me a fortune, even with the down payment cost of a tablet for the amount I read. You do certainly take an overall hit in quality (though there are some gems), but overall it’s a good buy.

1 Like

Yes, that would be great if such jobs existed, mostly they’re labors of love like her current work. Stop motion is a niche art practiced by a few die hard’s, and miniature modelmaking for film and photography mostly died with the advent of CG.

1 Like

There’s a number of studios actively doing work with miniatures, number isn’t gong to be big but those opportunities are there for talented artists. Not saying that the artist in question has to go into that, just saying that there’s practical uses for her talents that she may have not considered

2 Likes

Ermm… No.

I have stacks – Did I say stacks? I meant a stack, one stack, just in different piles – of books that I’m going to read, for sure, someday when I have some time.

EDIT: I won’t go into the subject of shoes. Well, I guess I just did. Not my shoes, but we have a shoe museum.

2 Likes