Hoarder Barbie trashes her Dream House

You know all those beautiful panoramic shots of cities and castles in GoT, or any period drama like Rome or War & Peace? 30 years ago if it weren’t just a matte painting it would have been built by roomful of modelbuilders. Even just for advertising modelmaking was a huge industry. Not anymore. I knew someone who charged tens of thousands for a couple of 2 foot models of a razor, now they just send over the 3d file it was designed on for a rendering.

There are some filmmakers, both big and indie, that have been using practical effects and miniatures. I’m not naive to think that there will be a big resurgence in that kind of work, but there’s still uses for it. WETA workshop does a lot of work with miniatures, as well as Laika studios, and the latest is Wes Anderson with his stop motion movie. It’s not a cottage industry like it used to be but i don’t think that miniatures will be something that will entirely disappear.

I’m also big into collecting figures and there’s quite a lot of interesting stuff going around with dioramas, custom figures, garage kits, automata, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, just like there are some that insist on shooting 35mm. It’s a niche. Even decades ago at the height of FX mania going to CA to be join the effects industry was a crapshoot, “yeah, um, if you moved here maybe we’ll give you call if we get busy”. Today it’s like that for many digital artists, they’re migrant labor, forget about for craftspeople.

You do know that you can stack paperbacks three deep on a typical bookcase, right? That’s how science fiction fans in the Midwest insulate their homes.

I buy appliance parts from a guy who has perfect recall, with a storefront (and presumably a back area as well) stacked floor to ceiling with overflowing cardboard boxes full of stuff. He’s got only 5-star Yelp ratings, is a local resource, a genius when it comes to suggesting repairs, but probably wouldn’t pass a fire inspection.

2 Likes

A phone is just fine for reading on, in my experience. There’s free Kindle Reader apps for every desktop and mobile OS.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.