Holographic "digital wife" now on sale for $1352

Sold only or marketed only to men? God that’s creepsters.

2 Likes

I would love an assistant/friend/pet/gizmo that I could customize. I mean, if you could customize the voice and speech style and accent and personality with a thousand sliders… I think it sounds fun. I guess it’s creepy and sad, too.

3 Likes

Nope, just sad.

2 Likes

Sorry! I tried to post a photo of Zordon from the Power Rangers, and that link was YUUUUGE.

I had a whole joke written up about how it would be cooler if it looked like him, or added a digital face for Siri or Alexa… I would DIY something like that if I had a good instructable to follow.

Or Black Mirror.

5 Likes

“Cheaper than cosmetic surgery, eh? Eh? Wait come back honey I didn’t mean it…”

6 Likes

This is hardly a new idea

It seems all they did is hook up a self developed program like Siri or Alexa to a common lcd screen pointed at a reflecting glass. I guess they could rake it the cash if they license the right characters to use on there (I doubt the Hatsune Miku one they had planned that kinda clashed with Crypton’s vision of her being a ‘creative blank slate for all creators to use’ will ever come out).

3 Likes

Seems the price has come down since the last time this came up in December 2016.

Imma gonna post this again.

19 Likes

If somebody re-skinned this gadget to look and sound like Stephen Fry, in character as Jeeves, all the cool kids would want to have one. Or for the gamer crowd: license the GlaDos character from Portal to manage your calendar. Or why not Poe from Altered Carbon?Instant profit!
In fact, there are so many ways you could make this thing cool without being creepy that it’s downright puzzling that this company chose to go with the waifu angle.

5 Likes

Ah, that made me laugh; as someone who’s more or less fallen off the back of the evolutionary bus, this really hits my funny bone.

2 Likes

I can sort of understand the criticisms of the role women played in that film but K wasn’t human so i thought certain critics had a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship with his digital wife. I found it oddly touching that here you have two artificial beings trying to connect in a world of humans that they’ll never really be a part of.

ETA: What was my point again? Oh, yeah… this is just creepy and a bit sad.

2 Likes

Does she come in anything a little less bubbly? I want a digital wife who would be more passive aggressive about receiving a cake she couldn’t eat as an anniversary gift.

8 Likes

Second thing to pop into my mind (after Dr. Krieger in Archer):

heavy metal

“I’m afraid I’d come home and find you screwing the toaster.”

5 Likes

Yeah, people have been calling this basic projection technology “hologram” for years. IIRC, it was when they had Tupac (I think?) rise from the dead at a Snoop/Dre concert.

1 Like

Right, that’s what it’s called. Couldn’t remember at first. Excellent, thought provoking post.

2 Likes

It bugs me they always call these things holograms (including those dead performer shows) when they’re just a bit of pepper’s ghost trickery.

3 Likes

Yeah, if it used positional head tracking and a pepper’s ghost cone, that’d be one thing since that would let you smoothly view it from multiple angles, but from the pictures it doesn’t even look that sophisticated.

3 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t look far removed from this…

3 Likes

Hey, I’d pay good money to have my own GLaDOS personal assistant.

1 Like

Hmm… I’ve got Legos, and a USB monitor… all I need is a little plexiglass and this could be an incrementally cheap amusement.

Edit: On reflection (pun intended) why bother? I’d be better served using the portable monitor as is. Also, Pepper’s Ghost feels misapplied here. Overengineered. Best viewing position is from the front. Behind the character is the black surface of the device itself. What was the point? Just use an LCD screen, then you don’t have the ghost effect. Add postitional head tracking and you can reproduce the classic Wiimote VR demo, exploiting the parallax effect to similate 3D. Splurge for 5 square LCDs and you can make a cube w/ 360 viewing. That it’s restricted to a single viewer is not a problem for this product, I think :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: And now I’ve seen the ad in the post… Wow that’s… sad.

2 Likes