Homeland Security chief appointment was invalid, reports government watchdog

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/14/homeland-security-chief-appoin.html

12 Likes

I’m wondering, does this make various actions that Homeland Security has taken illegal? Since they can’t have been authorised by a person who was permitted to authorise.

26 Likes

And DHS is saying F You to the GAO.

I look forward the many lawsuits coming…

23 Likes

Even if they were technically illegal there would soon be a Trump-idential decree declaring them to be in the pursuance of national security or some such crap and were therefore retroactively blessed. Also, to take action would call for the Justice Department or Congress or Supremes to do their jobs and how far would that ever go?

5 Likes

Yes. The first judge to overturn orders from Cuccinelli on the grounds that he was filling the post unlawfully did so back in February.

26 Likes

How can I work for DHS? Do I just show up in a suit and ask for an ID card? If I fill out the right forms will I get a paycheck? The US government is an embarrassment.

13 Likes

The primary qualification seems to be how much of Trump’s spittle you’re willing to lovingly gargle and savor.

4 Likes

Let’s all repeat that Capitalist refrain if there’s any complaints…“Sorry, it’s just business.”

4 Likes

Were I mayor of, say, Portland, I’d order my cops to immediately arrest any “fed” agent who steps foot off of Fed property since those agents would be implementing an illegal order.

Any of my cops refusing the directive would be fired for insubordination.

19 Likes
GAO's conclusion has no force of law, but the agency said it is referring its conclusion to the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general...
...who will ignore the referral or be fired.

I’m so tired of the toothless, outraged shaking of fingers in this banana republic.

12 Likes

But Republicans are all about law and order!

Oh how can this be? Surely they care about enforcing the laws on the books? It gives them such a hard on!

Under Trump, SEC Enforcement Of Insider Trading Dropped To Lowest Point In Decades https://www.npr.org/2020/08/14/901862355/under-trump-sec-enforcement-of-insider-trading-dropped-to-lowest-point-in-decade?sc=18&f=1001

…Oh wait.

Yeah, so full of shit I’d swear they’re animals in a zoo.

We’re all in a zoo now called democracy, it’s just at some point we let the animals take over.

Go vote in November and put these animals back where they belong, in those cages they love so much. You know the ones, the ones these bastards illegally keep migrant children in instead.

Fuck this party of swine

9 Likes

if he’s somehow drummed out, Trump will pull a Tata: simply appoint him to a position that “performs the duties” of the DHS chief without actually BEING the DHS chief.

It’s transparently slimy and an obvious dodge. But embarrassment is no longer a thing that exists.

10 Likes

By the time most Americans realize we are living in a dictatorship, it will be far too late.

13 Likes

This is like having Wolf guard the chicken coop.

6 Likes

That “Miami Vice” look should be a giveaway.

Meanwhile, who’s gonna stop illegal appointments? As Pres Jackson told the Supes, “Go ahead, enforce your ruling.” Genocide results in both cases.

4 Likes

Many were illegal anyways - I’m not sure how much changes when there’s layers of illegality going on. The illegally-appointed DHS chief issuing illegal orders to federal LEOs to go and illegally detain protestors in Portland…

11 Likes

We have that already! He’s not even submitted the names of Cuccinelli or Wolf for Senate confirmation. They’re acting heads of their respective agencies, promoted from a line of succession that was itself designated by an acting DHS secretary (himself unconfirmed). Virtually the entire org chart at this point consists of empty chairs with people acting in the roles. Even with his lapdog McConnell at the helm, Trump is openly and proudly ignoring the requirement that the top Executive Branch posts are named with the advice and consent of the Senate. (Why he won’t just submit the names to be rubberstamped is beyond me: not doing so is gratuitously dictatorial, since the captive Senate would give him his confirmations anyway. McConnell might not even hold confirmation hearings, just proceed directly to the floor vote the way he’s been doing with Article III judges.)

13 Likes

It’s only the second thing GAO has said the administration has done illegally.

1 Like

Let’s see…it’s Friday evening on the east coast…any firing announcements at the GAO?

3 Likes

Can the DHS take the heat?

There are going to be so many sternly-written letters coming their way!

13 Likes