Honey whole wheat sourdough pizza dough

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/08/honey-whole-wheat-sourdough-pi.html

1 Like

This is pretty close to the recipe I came up with for honey whole wheat sourdough pizza dough.

I worked out one of my own similar to the California Pizza Kitchen recipe for their honey whole wheat pizza crust (before they dropped it from their menu), starting by making it as a bread machine recipe, then switching it to use a sponge or poolish as a base, then switched to using rye sourdough starter.

Here’s mine (from before I switched to the rye sourdough) beginning with a batch of my “universal starter”, which is basically a short-cut to getting sourdough flavor.

Universal Starter Ingredients:
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 cup white/unbleached bread flour
• 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup rye flour
• 1 tsp yeast

Put all ingredients in bread machine in order given, and process on bread dough setting. When the dough is done, let it stand in the bread machine pan for at least 4 hours - 6 hours or overnight is better.

Pizza Dough Ingredients:
Add to risen starter:
• 1/8 c water
• 1 c whole wheat flour
• 3/4 c bread flour
• 2-3 Tbsp honey
• 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 Tbsp whole gluten
Note: The added gluten is very important to get the ideal dough consistency.

Process on dough cycle. During final half hour, preheat oven to 500コF and preheat pizza stone, pan, or tile in oven. When dough is done, knead briefly and form into a ball; then roll the ball out into a circle and stretch to pizza size.

Remove pizza stone from oven, transfer the pizza dough onto the stone, spread it out, and top with ingredients. Bake at 500°F 10-15 minutes or until done. For a crispier crust, bake crust a few minutes before topping with ingredients.

Note: This was modeled on the whole wheat pizza dough at California Pizza Kitchen, but I have no idea what their recipe is; I worked this one out myself.

2 Likes

you can also swap sugar with malt (any kind of malt, for instance I like almond malt) and your bread/pizza/whatever will be softer and healthier (I’m italian, I know pizza)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.