Sourdough pizza crust doesn't take much work

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/26/sourdough-pizza-crust.html

5 Likes

Looks great! I’m going to have to try that this weekend. I finally broke down and bought a food scale and it’s really improved the past couple of sourdough loaves I’ve made. The dough ended up much wetter than what I was making using measuring cups, but the bread has been exponentially better than the previous experiments.

My daughter’s a margherita pizza fiend, which is funny since she won’t eat tomatoes under most other circumstances, but maybe I’ll give the pineapple and pepperoni one a go to change things up a little.

6 Likes

I am not going to lie…best part here is pineapple. I really love it on my pizza despite the protests from the anti-pineapple-on-pizza feckless savages who clearly have no intrinsic value in this universe or any other quantum reality.

6 Likes

My daughter’s birthday pizza. Half-pesto/half bbq sauce, bacon, olive, pig-in-a -blanket pizza. This year she wants the same, plus jackfruit.

8 Likes

I have strong feelings about pineapple on pizza, but other than that it looks great. I used to work at a pizza place in Lowell Mass when was in college in the late '80s, and they made sourdough crust from the original batch that was started when the restaurant opened after WW II. That was some pretty awesome sourdough.

5 Likes

I am not going to lie…you belong in prison.

Go fuck yourself.

I think they only have canned pineapple in prison. Even worse.

I just saw “Official San Francisco Sourdough Starter” at the local supermarket. It’s a $15 foil envelope. Serious, or a scam?

Apples, pineapples, pine cones, doen’t matter. If its on a pizza, I am going to eat it, and by all that is cheesy, I am going to love it.

4 Likes

hmmm

12 Likes

Ha!
She likes what she likes.
Jackfruit happens to go very well with barbecue sauce.
The kid also likes pineapple, anchovies. We also made rainbow pizza once, with rows of pepperoni, jackfruit, broccoli, capers, and purple potato fries.

6 Likes

Scam. In San Francisco you get the yeast that the fog delivers you that day.

2 Likes

My understanding is that proper sourdough needs a long slow rise (equivalent of overnight) in a cool atmosphere. This way the gluten is made more easily digestible. I have tried it the quick way but it’s not as good IMHO.
I also worked in a pizza place when I was in college and we found that 2-3 toppings was the optimum regardless of your choice. That way the flavours still came through. Of course many customers still bought the fully loaded varieties and enjoyed them.

2 Likes

It’s a weird fruit with a weird consistency. But… It belongs on pizza more than pineapple.

And I say this as a guy who has no issue with pineapple on pizza.

2 Likes

It’s less challenging than it’s evil cousin on pizza:

2 Likes

Might as well add some liver to that.

2 Likes

I think pretty much only Pizza Hut would consider this a viable idea. Next they’ll be topping with California Reapers. Heck, that might make the durian viable.

Looking forward to the results of the durian and Cali. Reaper Pepper pizza thing. [Puts down tun of viper vodka.]

1 Like