Hong Kong erupts after Beijing refuses to allow dissident lawmakers to re-take oath

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/07/hong-kong-erupts-after-beijing.html

2 Likes

Careful, kids. Everyone knows Hong Kong is China/not China. But just like looking busy when the boss is in the office, you have to pretend to be China when the dragon eyes you…

3 Likes

China behaving like a ham-handed authoritarian? What a surprise.

3 Likes

This is almost exactly what I wanted to say!

I could perhaps add that it will take a lot of time to orbit away from China, and perhaps quite a bit of maneuvering.

1 Like

Taiwan’s a special case, though, as it is de facto independent, even though it is de jure part of China (in the eyes of both Beijing and Taipei – they just disagree on who the legitimate government is). The US has effectively guaranteed Taiwanese autonomy, even while officially recognising the People’s Republic as the sole legitimate authority in China.

6 Likes

Does anyone know if something similar has ever happened in the Spanish parliament?
I wouldn’t be surprised if a Basque / Catalan member of parliament refused some oath of fealty to the Spanish state or the Spanish Crown.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.