Horror prank in Japan based on RINGU film is truly terrifying

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/31/horror-prank-in-japan-based-on-ringu-film-is-truly-terrifying.html

2 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Honestly, the original Ringu was one of the scariest films I’ve seen!

The Ring Movie GIF by Arrow Video

3 Likes

nope

All about context. At a theme park or haunted house, that would be creepy. In a random pedestrian tunnel or outside of a public restroom, where it doesn’t make any sense for someone to do something that elaborate… I’d be sprinting the other direction, same at the folks in the video.

That said, a couple of those folks were lousy human beings when confronted with apparent danger. You make sure your friend/romantic partner gets out with you. And the guy that shoved his partner into the path of the threat before running… total scumbag.

2 Likes

The setup reminds me of this classic - where do ten years go?!

6 Likes

I feel like for maximum effect it would have been nice to have the lights do the classic sci-fi / horror flicker when someone was past the third light. From an outside observer perspective it doesn’t seem that scary. Sadako doesn’t move very fast and I’m not known for my running speed. However if I came upon that in a dark tunnel at night I’d be booking it like the guys with the camera flashlight.

Now we just need Boston Dynamic to make a viral video with a robot playing the part of Sadako. It could move and keep up with the “victims”…shudder.

2 Likes

This reminds me of this prank from Brazil from several years ago. Why people do shit like this I will never understand.

2 Likes

Yeah I watched that film by myself at night. I didn’t know anything about it. When that movie ended, I was so scared my phone was going to ring. It didn’t, thankfully. I really might have had a heart attack. I haven’t really watched a horror movie since, to be honest. It kind of turned me off the experience.

2 Likes

While I can imagine something that would creep me out enough to run away if it lurked out of the darkness at the end of a tunnel, a wobbly girl on stilts…isn’t that.

2 Likes

I don’t have to outrun the bear…

1 Like

I recall this was 2002-ish.
My brother had seen the film already.
He and his wife sat down to watch it late one night, after the kids were in bed.

He had his phone at the ready with her number on speed-dial, cue credits.

She’s not forgiven him to this day (can’t blame her).

ETA: It was the remake, not the orig.

2 Likes

We had a sneak preview of the original Candyman, and we all ended up home at midnight.

I went next door and called my roommate’s girlfriend “Candyman Candyman Candy *click*”

1 Like

I don’t know, the remake was fine, but there was just something about the original one that is just so much scarier than the American. I think it was the final scenes, where she comes out of the TV at the guy’s apartment, it felt more real than the American version, where they did this weird CG of the girl that wasn’t as scary.

3 Likes

From the main post for the BBS-folks

1 Like

This might work in Japan, but I suspect somebody trying this in the US would get shot.

1 Like

It’s terrifying that there are so many people without faces walking around. Thank goodness this puppet is there to chase them off.

1 Like

I remember this from years ago.
Fun starts about 0.50 (I’m not techy enough to cue it up for you).

Warning: lots of screaming throughout.

1 Like

Oh, hang about - check out Ringu Twister!

samara

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.