House passes $3T coronavirus relief act led by Pelosi & Dems, Trump says bill 'DOA' in Senate

I tend to think of what’s best as opposed to what’s realistic to the enemy (congress). Call me an optimist. < /shrug>

you are so right. better to change a mind than eliminate it. never forget, these are people we’re talking about. Most of whom got the virus innocently.

1 Like

It’s actually my job to do so … sigh

Almost all of those orgs you listed have lobbying arms, literally bribing both the dems and reps. I can attest many of them do good things, having worked with many of them on the scientific front, but the pay to play here is quite obvious. I must stress that their attempt to continue business as usual is to be expected, but nevertheless is quite wrong and bad.

There is impetus in congress to make all-encompassing bills but smaller targeted bills have better chances of making their way up the shit river.

There are so many critical things in this bill, the dems are posturing to eliminate many reps in the senate race. You get the message, right? The senate and the president won’t pass this bill, better to elect a blue bitch to get legislation through, right? I call false pretenses. I support getting assholes like mitch fuckface out of the senate, and others of his ilk as well, but in a sane world none of this would even be an argument.

Most of this nonsense has me seriously contemplating emigration, what with the encryption backdoors, extensions of the patriot act, the overdilution of currency, systemic and everpresent racism … sigh

But you’re not Mindysan! These are mere mortals you’re dealing with. Never forget the prime responsibility of the citizen. If it truly becomes the will of the people to guillotine these jags, then guillotined they will be. Here’s a good one for you.

They have been for decades. They’ve rarely seen a war they don’t like or a public health program they didn’t want to cut. They only care about life as far as abortion and even then only for the general public, not their families.

1 Like

I disagree.

I’m old enough to remember when discrete bills were the norm, but I don’t think they’re possible today, at least not with divided legislature. There was a time when a Mike Mansfield and an Ev Dirksen could make an agreement, that Dirksen would get the minority to support Mansfield’s bill X if in return Mansfield would help usher Dirksen’s bill Y through. In today’s political climate, really going back to the 90s, a member of one party commits political suicide if they support a bill from the other party; the fact that it was part of a deal gets ignored. You can see that this cycle, when people are dredging up votes of people like Biden from the earlier era and labeling him a RINO because of what he did then.

Nowadays, unless you control everything, it is politically easier to shoehorn the compromises into omnibus bills, so that you can tell your constituents that you put with X in order to get Y. At least that way you have a chance of getting something essential like a budget or a bailout passed.

In the case of the bill in this thread, what is interesting is that the compromises aren’t with republicans in the House, who are basically a hopeless lot, but between the wings of the House Democrats. The bluedogs adamantly wanted this COBRA subsidy, so they got it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.