House passes $8.3B coronavirus bill in bipartisan vote, Senate vote expected Thursday

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/04/house-passes-8-3b-coronavirus.html

3 Likes

Interesting that the White House only requested $2.5 Billion for this purpose. I hope the Executive Branch doesn’t refuse to direct this money to where it needs to go out of spite.

13 Likes

McConnell’s going to bring it to a vote?

Does he remember how to do that?

33 Likes

OK, which two fuckers voted against this bill?

(I could look it up, but nah.)

4 Likes

Congressman Psycho Mantis was also there to vote (and read memory cards) today

6 Likes

Andy Biggs (R), Arizona
Ken Buck (R), Colorado

Edit: I put an R in parentheses but it got formatted to make it look like these guys are registered trademarks rather than Republicans.

16 Likes

Do you know where it needs to go? The Wall™. That,ll stop it getting into the country.

8 Likes

I don’t doubt that Trump will redirect the money that way if Congress gives him half a chance. And maybe even if they don’t.

10 Likes

I’d have to consult with an expert, but a brief read through suggested that attempts were made to restrict Trump’s ability to use this as a slush fund.

You must spend this money, by this date, on these specific projects and aims, or it goes away, and you must supply these people for testimony and briefings, or the money goes away.

12 Likes

See, there is money for healthcare!

27 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. At least a good portion of it, if he can find any way. He’ll probably spend some of it to have someone go around to the afflicted and toss boxes of Kleenex.

5 Likes

It’s good that Congress is trying to prevent that abuse of funding. Of course, they also tried to prevent him from spending money on his border wall and he just found a way to take the funds from the Military budget in a clear defiance of his legal authority and got away with it because nothing matters anymore.

12 Likes

Sweet – another $8 billion for building The Wall!

1 Like

Was just going to comment that 2 Republicans voted no - natch!

ETA - just saw one was Ken Buck from Colorado Springs. God I hate that fucker!

He votes for every defense appropriation since his district has 4 military bases in it but claims to be a “fiscal conservative”. Colorado Springs conservatives are so goddamn hypocritical .

7 Likes

Would that be incorrect?

9 Likes

M4ALL would be really nice right about now…

5 Likes

That’s a bonkers amount of money. Could have bought millions of people healthcare for years.

Does anyone know the breakdown on where the money will go?

BTW what happens if a prison gets infected? I mean it would spread like wildfire. Is everyone left to cough to death with fever? How about the concentration camps (remember those? still there with kids, media just decided to stop covering it so everyone forgot)

5 Likes

Did he borrow those shoes from Roger Stone?

3 Likes

Wow. See government, no-partisan voting in the best interests of the country is really possible!

Just imagine if they applied a similar thought process to everything else that came before them to consider…

Hey! What the hell is this flying pig doing in my house?

2 Likes

Intentional neglect was one of extermination methods in Nazi concentration camps. Considering racism of current US government and median skin pigmentation of prisoners it is not impossible that this will be the case.
The “tough on crime” aspect and cultural obsession with punishment makes it even more probable.

5 Likes