House Republicans now allow smoking inside Capitol, causing quite a stink

Dana Scully 90S GIF

20 Likes

don’t forget the part where the rest of polite society has long since moved past this filthy habit and most everyone would happily relegate it to the past

while they pretend otherwise

16 Likes

They can just go to Gorky Park…

26 Likes

That was a great bit!

6 Likes

It was… too bad Graham Lineham has proven himself to be a transphobic asshole.

27 Likes

That is hilarious!
I’m an occasional smoker, usually a couple hand rolled cigarettes a day, sometimes more if I’m hanging about with friends outside. But I’ve noticed as I get older, I just skip more and more days. Especially in winter. I think last week I smoked 1 or 2 on 2 out of 7 days and none the rest.
All this to say, not smoking indoors in a comfy office is a good thing. They’re definitely doing it to own the libs. The analogy with coal rolling by @HMSGoose is spot on.
Also, before too many people jump on the “filthy habit” thing, a couple points. 1. Pretty much all of us who smoke know that already. The conscientious ones try to make sure we’re not bothering anyone else with it. 2. Much like buying lottery tickets, smoking cigarettes is a habit specifically marketed to and taken up by less privileged people, so just try not to be too mean about it.

33 Likes

Yeah… I’m not a fan of smoking, have never tried it, and have no interest in it, and am largely glad it’s pushed out of many public spaces now… but it’s a highly addictive substance, that, as you note is marketed to less privileged folks… No judgement on individuals who managed to smoke and not be a dick about it, but clearly these house GOP members are indeed being dicks about it…

22 Likes

Right-wingers, in contrast, go out of their way to bother others.

Even to the point where the only way some working class people can get a few minutes to rest up is by taking an employer-approved “smoke break”.

25 Likes

Oh, big time. And I think it’s also telling that every notice about this clearly specifies “on the Republican side of the house.”
I’m not certain, but there has to be at least one or two dem Congress critters who smoke, yet they are seemingly not polluting the hallowed halls.
I kind of hope the aides to the R hot boxers all join together and quit.

17 Likes

When the Democrats take control of the house again are they able to pass a rule that would require all Republicans to smoke a carton of cigarettes in one go? You know to teach them a lesson about why smoking is bad

9 Likes

As someone who spent the better part of a decade working on researching the genetics of lung cancer and COPD. And continuing to advocate against smoking and second hand smoke exposure. I thought we were at least a decade past this sort of decison being a risk. How many people even want this?

The stupididty and selfishness never ceases to amaze.

I can’t even…

:man_facepalming:

29 Likes

#1 priority, Owning the Libs. Pretty much the only thing they manage to do anymore.

14 Likes

The gQp motto.

15 Likes

I’ve never even tried smoking, but I really noticed it as far back at 30 years ago when I was in the military:

A1C: I’m going to go outside and sit on my butt. I’ll be back in five.
Sgt: Oh no the hell you’re not. What insubordination.

vs

A1C: I’m going to take a smoke break. I’ll be back in five.
Sgt: Alright. Take your time, make it ten.

25 Likes

They are OWNing the Libs, though! /s

7 Likes

I wouldn’t put it past them but…

Smoking has never been banned from members offices, so unless they are smoking out in the open in the public places of the Capitol, nothing has changed.

It absolutely should be banned throughout the Capitol including private offices but this seems like a nothing story or at least not a new one.

Could they overturn the Pelosi ban from 2007? Sure, but it does not appear to have happened.

3 Likes

I would applaud the intern who secretly switches out his cigars for blunts. :+1:

9 Likes

They just want to be like Sadam Hussein, who, soon after his election, turned it in to a dictatorship. While he casually smoked his cigar at the assembly, 68 names of people deemed traitorous were called and the people dragged out of the room. 22 of them were executed in the hallway by fellow party members. No wonder Boebart wants to carry a gun in the House.

4 Likes

An interesting point, this could be a toothless announcement that is meant to show how they can bully the libs, without actually putting any effort into it.

Which is in line with how the GOP works nowadays: make a bunch of announcements, and call it a day until the next announcement is ready.

7 Likes

Are there fire hoses in the building? Because where there’s smoke there’s a ■■■■■ Qongressgrifter.

4 Likes