Houses in this neighborhood have airplane hangars

I grew up not far from Wellington Aero Club. Very similar, except it used to be a grass landing strip, and the planes go on grass roads behind the houses, not on the main roads.

1 Like

6 Likes

Lake Village, Indiana has a little subdivision surrounding its airport. The south end of the runway is also quite close to Highway 10, to the point of signs warning of low-flying planes.

Going the other way, there used to be a small airport near New Lenox, IL that has since been completely bulldozed and replaced with an ordinary subdivision. In a classic suburban subdivision trope, it was named “Sky Harbor” after the thing it replaced.

1 Like

I know the place. I never made the connection to the airport though (apparently I’m an idiot). There are quite a few places that used to have airports that are long gone, such as Crestwood IL right by Cal-sag and Cicero, and Arlington Heights Naval Airfield.

3 Likes

That’s my hometown!

I’m wondering how the hell did he get a plane there in the first place?? It was in a tiny street near a canal, not far from a boat launch area. That Cessna didn’t have floats.

Oceanside is about a 30-40 minute drive to the nearest civil airport, 20 minutes from JFK.

Maybe on a flatbed truck?

1 Like

There are laws that govern how aircraft behave on the ground. Aircraft have right of way over other vehicles and pedestrians, aircraft pass on the left (IIRC), that sort of thing.

Also, the pilot contacts the air traffic control and requests to start the plane up, and then requests permission to taxi when the time comes so that ATC has a good idea of whats going on.

Aeroplane stuff is really sensible and well resolved. And because a Pilot’s Licence is a privilege that can be revoked, aeroplane people tend to be responsible and well behaved.

4 Likes

So we are ok with brash displays of wealth inequality now?

That link is quite a rabbit hole. :wink:

TIL that Starved Rock State Park had an airport on an island in the Illinois River, connected by cable car. I had absolutely no idea, and had paid my first visit there only a few years after the airport closed. The tramway closed much earlier, though.

2 Likes

As a former street hockey player, I smiled. Good times!

4 Likes

We, There Is No We - Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones in Marvel's The Defenders

Speaking only for myself, I’m quite capable of appreciating the coolness of having a hanger for a garage and a taxiway for a street without being okay with the Ancien Regime level inequality that renders it the exclusive provenance of the exorbitantly wealthy. Just as I’m quite capable of marveling at break-dancing robots without being okay with the military-industrial complex controlling the funding or the ruling classes hoarding the benefits of automation.

12 Likes

Ah yes, Jumbolair. They (the community, not Travolta specifically) used to host pancake breakfasts on Saturdays, but I’m not sure if they still do.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.