Houston man stands in 3-feet-deep hole in the road to get city's attention — and it works

Originally published at: Houston man stands in 3-feet-deep hole in the road to get city's attention — and it works | Boing Boing

6 Likes

No sign of an orb? Then it’s all good.

3 Likes

The Terminator took matters is his own hance.

3 Likes
9 Likes

From the video:

Petite is 6 foot 1.

My definition for Petite is rather different. :thinking:

As an (ex-)motorcyclist I have damaged my bike (not myself, luckily) on potholes in a couple occasions. But ~1 m deep is scary AF.

11 Likes

This being in Third Ward explains it, it’s considered one of the rough parts of Houston. It is slowly getting gentrified but i would hazard a guess the city ignores this area as much as they can get away with.

2 Likes

“Up to his waist”

That ain’t his waist, we all know what that is…

1 Like

This is a strange way to describe the deeply ingrained racism in where Houston’s funds are allocated

3 Likes

3 Likes

I hit a pothole in NYC on my bike 20 years ago which was about 12" deep and almost the exact diameter of my front tire. The front tire stopped, the rest of the bike when over like a pendulum with me still on it. I was in the hospital 3 weeks after the bike landed on me, and was super lucky to have no permanent injuries. Lots of broken bones and a punctured lung tho! And this was only at around 30 mph.

I still remember the cop showing up at the ER to take my statement and saying, in a sarcastic NYC cop way, “Good news, you appeared to break the bike’s fall and it’s ok.” Great!

I still have a motorcycle but I mostly don’t ride in cities anymore.

7 Likes

Is it just me, or is it kind of a sad that the only thing that MIGHT get some action is public shaming?
Like, didn’t we give that up after the Puritan age?

3 Likes

It generally works when someone has some kind of presence and following online. If i decided to do this i doubt it’d be effective because i normally avoid posting things on social media

4 Likes

3 Likes

This could spark a whole new way of presenting when making one’s case to oblivious local ivory tower types. The Human Body Juxtaposed with [blank] Diagram.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.