How a millionaire slumlord got sweetheart government deals to maintain armed forces housing and then left them to rot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/29/the-corvias-group.html

3 Likes

Eat the rich, start with these landlords.

20 Likes

I bet they wouldn’t taste too good.

7 Likes

Trouble is, there’s not enough to go around. More ways than one.

2 Likes

Well, that’s one way to thank your military for their service.

4 Likes

2012:

Military barracks don’t have the reputation of being luxury accommodations, but developer John Picerne was still shocked when he took his first tour of military housing 11 years ago. He recalled holes in the wall, mold on the ceiling, and rooms so cramped that tables and bureaus were stacked on top of each other.

“It was a sad learning experience as I realized how poorly we were treating our military families,” said Picerne, 50, chief executive of Corvias Group in East Greenwich, R.I., which has a division called Picerne Military Housing.

He was shocked and sad 17 years ago. I guess he got over it pretty quick.

His cottage in Ireland:

16 Likes

It’s a useful thought but The Great Paris has a good point.

Perhaps they’d be just perfect to feed to the pigs. Swine to swine, Just think of the bacon.

6 Likes

I know a guy who owns 16 pigs.

tumblr_m8tc8mdlD41qdgbv6o1_1280

9 Likes

Speak to Mr. Trump. I’m sure he would be able to sort it out in short order.

2 Likes

It’ll be fine.

À la lanterne!

1 Like

Can’t properly build nor maintain houses for our precious military, can’t maintain our nation’s crumbling infrastructure, but somehow we’re supposed to solve all our immigration problems with a wall in the desert?

13 Likes

fucking mainstream democrat acting like a god damn republican.

Democrats, get out of the fucking way.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, that marketing is a big part of how we got Trump, because Dems were divided.

Definitely a lot of problems with the Democratic party, though. Plenty of Dems beholden to corporate cash. But I think now we see just how much worse the GOP can be than the current level of Democratic party corruption.

4 Likes

all true, but does not mean that we don’t need to push them out of the way starting now

2 Likes

D or R it’s the same fucking gang of money thugs. Pretty pretty technology will save us/keep us distracted tho!

Yep. Because this one Democrat is a money-sucking asshole, every member of the party is just as bad the average Republican. :thinking:*

* I’m told this is the way to indicate sarcasm if you have emojis handy. There’s also a thing where you italicize some of the letter in your words that i like, but is too difficult here.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/ambientgillian/status/1078783047833735169?s=21

3 Likes

Tenants only had to pay feudal lords 10%, and in return the lord was supposed to provide law enforcement.

It is exactly this type of thinking that got into the goddam fucking hole we are now in. Fuck off.

5 Likes

He might have learned that while military barracks are indeed spartan in design and decor; military housing is different.

Christ what an asshole.

1 Like