"How can the moon reflect light if it is a rock?" excellent self-own

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/19/how-can-the-moon-reflect-lig.html

8 Likes

How does this even fit into Flat Earth theory? Are they suggesting the moon is just an illusion created by NASA or something?

20 Likes

How could you take a photograph of a rock if rocks don’t reflect light?

62 Likes

My only hope for humanity is that flat earthers are just a bunch of trolls doing it for the lols.

Otherwise, we’re fucked since a significant portion of the populace is ignorant.

But then again, we have 45 so I guess we already have evidence that a significant portion of the populace is ignorant.

How did we get this low?

28 Likes

Stop, everybody, making fun of this person is how we create a supervillain bent on painting all rocks on Earth vanta black.

58 Likes

If people claim the Earth is flat, then the next question is, “well, why is the moon round?” To which, the answer is, “the moon is a light source.” And if that doesn’t prove the Earth is flat, I don’t know how you’ll ever see it.

20 Likes

Actually. My proof to flat earth era that the East is NOT flat is simple: if the earth were flat, someone would have pushed you off of it to your death by now.

14 Likes

Exactly. That’s why all photos of rocks are fake. This thing has layers.

30 Likes

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

― Kurt Vonnegut

48 Likes

Honestly, we’d be a lot better off if lots of people were just stupid, but instead we just have a very large minority of our population who are irredeemably monstrous assholes. Which I hasten to add is not incompatible with also being stupid.

28 Likes

It’s part of the general theory that everything we are told about space is a conspiracy.

12 Likes

The only problem with the flat earthers is that giving them attention just helps their ridiculous cause. Ignoring them would go a long way towards their extinction, but the infinite news cycle, hungry for clicks, will latch onto ANYTHING – the more outlandish, the better.

12 Likes

Flat Earthers apparently don’t understand what “reflect” and/or “light” mean.

I mean… yeah. Ignorant and terrible.

We were always here. We just had an unwarranted, downright delusionally high self-opinion of ourselves as a nation.

21 Likes

It is! It’s a conspiracy of people who are better than them in every way publishing the truth.

6 Likes

THAT’S NO MOON!

NB: the preceding is a compete sentence.

16 Likes

The documentary “Behind the Curve” (available on Netflix) was a fascinating/hilarious/maddening look at these people. The thing that genuinely surprised me to learn was that they actually are pretty good at designing experiments to test their theories about the curvature of the earth. Unfortunately they also reject the results of their own experiments when the data contradicts their premise (which is always).

32 Likes

If it absorbs it all and fluoresces. Granted, that’s not the case, but it is something remotely possible.

11 Likes

My god! I’m willingly helping these conspirators every day! How blind I have been.

5 Likes

While I don’t follow Flat Earth conspiracies all that closely, I think the most common theory is that everything else is spherical. It’s just the Earth that is flat because that’s the way God made it.

6 Likes

Ah, but that’s what They want you to think…

2 Likes