How chocolate chip cookies were invented

[Permalink]

1 Like

That’s not a cookie, it’s a wad of unbaked dough. Ugh.

Cookie Dough, the sushi of the dessert world. mmmmmm Salmonella…

(Edit to correct “desert” to “dessert”. Well played @Boundegar, Well played)

2 Likes

(Dune… Arrakis… dessert planet…)

I know people eat the stuff. Doesn’t mean I have to approve. Yuk.

(Then I shall make Dune be a dessert planet made of spice cake.)

1 Like

[T]he treats that Wakefield first made at the inn, which she and her husband, Kenneth, owned, were so tiny, that a single cookie — the size of a quarter — was not quite a bite…. the tinier versions turn out quite crunchy…

Sounds a bit like Famous Amos cookies.

I think it’s important for people to see where their food comes from. If you’re disgusted, don’t eat chocolate chip cookies.

2 Likes

Now, is this the invention of the chocolate chip cookie, or the invention of the chocolate chip cookie recipe? I remember reading that recipes themselves were a rather modern invention because “standard” weights and measures weren’t around.

…oh, looks like the influential standardizers of recipes for households were Brits from the mid-1800s. Carry-on.

1 Like

Not quite. We have recipes at least as far back as Marcus Gaius Apicius from ancient Rome, Antique Roman Dishes - Collection.

And yes, if was harder to standardize weights and measures back in the day, but that is part of why professional bakeries use ratios (aka baker’s percentages). You can scale a recipe to any measurement that way. It wasn’t perfect- no standardized yeasts and such but it was doable.

I only object to the uncooked dough which, if bought ready-made, says very clearly on the label, “DO NOT EAT.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.