How could Lex Luthor beat the import controls on kryptonite

This is Lex Jr. And he acts like the Joker. Clever isn’t it?
/snark

2 Likes

I’ll point you back up here then: How could Lex Luthor beat the import controls on kryptonite

Join me. No Snyder movies.

4 Likes

What is really interesting is that the definitive Batman and Superman these days are the animated versions from Paul Dini. At this point Kevin Conroy’s voice is the best Batman put to screen in a long time. Everyone now imitates his “change vocal pitch” to distinguish hero and civilian persona thing. Christian Bale did it to the point of unintentional comedy. IMO Tim Daly’s Superman ranks second only to Christopher Reeve’s iconic portrayals.

Its not that people couldn’t write a good Batman v. Superman film, they even had a great examples to steal from. The animated Batman v. Superman (Superman Animated Series episodes “Worlds Finest”) had Bruce Wayne boinking Lois Lane through the superpower of cash and charm.

The current film seems to suffer from the mentality of producers who looked at the material from an outside POV trying to guess what the audience wanted. Poochie with a 300 million dollar budget (I hope I am just exaggerating there).

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I really enjoyed his adaptation of Watchmen (with some caveats, such as really ridiculous music choices) and thought his changes were smart. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

A Snyder Superhero : What is this! It blinds me with its light, makes my skin warm, and turns my disposition cheery!

Bystander: Its called the sun.

4 Likes

Don’t take this badly, but you are dead wrong. Dr. Manhattan is American and is identified strongly as such during Vietnam to the rest of the world. If Dr. Manhattan wrecks shop then it is the same as the US. That he has done so to the US is irrelevant.

The only way the world bands together to stop screwing it up is with a threat of a non-human exterior force that threatens the entire world, not just one nation-state having one of its parts step out of line. If the USSR was to have one sub commander lose his shit and blow up ten world capitols including Red Square we’d all feel bad for them but not suddenly feel like we had a worldwide issue, it would be the same kind of “lone wolf” we always hear about with mass shootings.

2 Likes

I’m dead wrong about… enjoying Watchmen?

Thinking his changes were “smart”.

1 Like

Sucker Punch is an extended music video. Music videos are Snyder’s claim to fame and still his best work (which is why the opening credits of Watchmen is considered the best part of the film). Sucker Punch opens with a woman dying. The two daughters are left alone with an abusive, gold-digging husband. The daughter tries to shoot him, hits her sister instead, and ends up in a mental institution. At some point the institution takes on the trippy trappings of a vaudeville-club-turned-brothel and the patients it’s performers. They hatch a plan to escape using common items (lighter, knife, etc.). The attempt to get common items take on an epic/fantastic aspect (fighting giant samurai, dragons, zombie Nazis). At first I thought they were going to just change the setting every 10 minutes whether it needed it or not. In the end the just waver back and forth between brothel metaphor and epic metaphor. Until the finale where evil wins. At all three levels is music videos.

I didn’t even notice he was the director of BvS, but it explains a lot. He puts in a lot of effort on little details of the universe, but seems to miss big picture motivations, character concepts, and so on. I can totally believe that he’s the hypothetical tone-deaf, “fed-up fan” in my previous post.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying about the ending, and I agree to some degree, but for all of its political-grey-area moral ambiguity, I think a giant squid wouldn’t have worked all that great as the alternative.

I was more talking about other changes throughout, not just the ending. Things he did to streamline it a bit.

1 Like

The movie is so bad that one of my best friends, who I go to super hero movies with historically, actively warned all of his friends (more than once even) to not see it because it was so horrible. This is a nuanced and thoughtful person. You’re describing the opposite of the movie he described to me in great detail.

He had very pointed critiques that most of the actors did a serviceable job (and called out Affleck for doing better) but they were all acting as if they were in different movies. That is was incoherent in places. The action was muddled and couldn’t really be followed.

3 Likes

Sucker Punch, or as it’s known by it’s working title “The Matrix: Interrupted”

2 Likes

I guess I’m saying it doesn’t have to be a squid, just something exterior to humans. That didn’t start as a human, that isn’t seen as part of one country or another.

But, it makes it visually easier if it’s not and the audience doesn’t have to work so hard, so, Snyder takes all the thinking away. Whew!

I’d have less of an issue with it if Manhattan wasn’t so strongly identified with the US. Like this line: ‘The Super-man exists and he is American’, what I said was ‘God exists and he is American’.

Another issue I have with Snyder is that he thinks Ayn Rand is way to live. That’s why his version of Rorschach is the hero instead of being seen as the psychotic with no morals that he clearly is in the graphic novel.

4 Likes

whynotboth.gif?

2 Likes

We called it “Nut Punch.”

3 Likes

I’m a little confused. Did he describe a movie that wasn’t methodical, that had a lot of levity, and didn’t spend a lot of time with characters conversing and pondering and contemplating things?

I mean, that’s genuinely what the movie is: a superhero film that spends a great deal of time dealing with their inner demons, their worries, and the problems they’re dealing with as either a cynical, bitter Batman or a Superman that’s been kind of screwed-over.

The movie has big problems, sure, and I don’t agree with a lot of decisions that were made in it. But ‘horrible’? Not in the least. The action scenes were some of the best I’ve seen in any Batman film, for what it’s worth.

1 Like

That’s what I keep saying to myself while watching Daredevil…

7 Likes

Ugh. I know. Why not James Gunn? He gets the problems of super-powered vigilantes. But noooooooo - Disney-Marvel got him first. Blargh.

2 Likes

Did you know he was the writer for Snyder’s Dawn of the Dead?

3 Likes

I think that they mentioned that it is radioactive, so that puts it under the Nuclear Regulatory Commissions import regs… They are generally pretty easy - if you are licensed to possess the stuff, then you can import it. The problem wth kryptonite is that it is not a standard radionuclide, thus one would need to apply for an import permit. I think that import permits just get reviewed by NRC staff (export permits have to go through the White House), so they probably wouldn’t have needed any political help.

3 Likes