How crowdfunding helps haters profit from harassment

Saying someone’s victimhood counts or not is an odd way to put it, as if it’s about scoring points. But absolutely, the treatment described for JennOfHardWire is unacceptable. Whatever she has written, no matter how vile, doesn’t and can’t justify it. Any such harassment and threats against her need to end, full stop, and ideally those responsible would in some way be held accountable.

I hope you understand the same applies to harassment, threats, and attempts to intimidate people into silence made by gamergate. The problem here is that the movement is centered around them. Yes, I know people like Jenn have claimed otherwise, but they’re wrong or lying; when people actually look at what is done and talked about under the name gamergate, it’s almost all attacks on critics and women, as for instance in the links I gave.

And we have enough accounts that show up here to defend it and are never seen again to tell there’s basically no interest in repudiating that. Complaints about the odd harassment of gamergate supporters are just used as an attempted tu quoque; as here, the same people are often happy to see it used to silence women.

I think you’re actually the first one who’s been so much as willing to admit that harassment is not acceptable in general. If that’s really your values, good, but then you need to stop ignoring how much of it gamergate has been built around, stop faulting people who criticize the movement for it, and above all stop pretending the victims are somehow asking for it. You should be cleaning your own house, because right now it deserves to be called a hate group.

9 Likes