How defunding Planned Parenthood killed Star Wars' Old Republic

I just have to say it’s extra rich for a conservative to say that we liberals don’t understand the ideas Lucas was trying to convey in the prequels since he very intentionally put in events and dialogue that were meant to show parallels between the rise of the evil Empire and the George W. Bush administration’s “War on Terror.” Jar-Jar basically pushes the Patriot Act through Space Congress. Annie even paraphrases W’s “you’re either with us or against us” line.

I don’t hate the prequels because they are offensive to my political leanings. I hate them because they were terribly written and executed.

16 Likes

Not really helping the whole “No, Lucas is totally not a lazy writer, and is totally sensitive to the female perspective” argument with that pull…if anything, launches it into “MRA + ‘The Body has ways of shutting things down’” territory…

4 Likes

That just goes to show that some people are so twisted up in their own animosity at “Others” that they will totally ignore the intended message in favor of trying to massacre the messenger; so caught up in their hatred that they’d attempt to defend the indefensible.

6 Likes

The Phantom Menace is of course awful, but liberals trying to criticize it from a liberal perspective need to be refuted!

16 Likes

My midichlorians! My choice!

9 Likes

Obligatory:

9 Likes

Clearly the person writing this doesn’t know Star Wars at all. First, Padme didn’t want anyone knowing she was pregnant altogether. Keep it and her marriage to Anakin a secret. So going to a doctor, which was pregnant readily available, would’ve been out of the question. Secondly, she was dying before the pregnancy came to term, why they had to do a c-section.

And you, apparently, haven’t read beyond the headline.

12 Likes

By my count this is the third person who just created a BBS account to defend the Star Wars prequels from an article they clearly didn’t read. If I didn’t know better I’d say there’s something about the topic of reproductive medicine that inspires angry commenters.

20 Likes

9 Likes

8 Likes

It’s just so important to tell us how little us lib-tards on BB know about Star Wars!

11 Likes

I’ve also noticed a growing tendency to use female-sounding profile names when creating an account to make pro-sexism arguments. Like that would make us more likely to believe the nonsense being presented.

17 Likes

Are you saying that … fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering?

7 Likes

Whatever, just keep ripping them apart. I need to fill up my mug:

11 Likes

I’m afraid so.

I mean, goddamn straight!!!

I hate this fucking shit.

Crap. Now I have a headache.

6 Likes

hi @DrenaBlanc. Thanks for joining half an hour ago to share your thoughts with us. You should stick around - there are loads of threads on reproductive health here, which seems to be an area that you have some interest in.

11 Likes

Clearly.

What’s really bizarre is the leap to defend something so unanimously long reviled among the SW fandom and critics alike.

I think I may have heard that somewhere once.

11 Likes

I don’t get it. I mean there’s no reason one couldn’t be a right-wing sexist troll AND hate the Star Wars prequels.

11 Likes

Masterful!

4 Likes