How did 19 films each get an F on CinemaScore?

To be clear, you’re casting the original Solaris as a classic?

EDIT: Asking because I’d like to know why you appreciate the original so much. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is there a sarcasm font?

Seriously? Tarkovsky was the Soviet Kubrick and Solaris was his “2001”. Pretty much like all of Kubrick’s films, Tarkovsky’s films are classics for the great cinematography, but with Solaris and Stalker explored the more intellectual side of science fiction that rarely gets filmed as opposed to space operas.

5 Likes

Yes. I love it. As jhbadger says it’s a genuine SF classic. My only gripes with it are that it’s too short and too packed with incident!

As an aside I came out of Arrival thinking it was a great film (and I loved the story - the book was better in that it didn’t have the Chinese subplot but the film was better because it had the soundtrack, the actors, and the visual) and described it as a cross between the thin red line, Solaris, and Contact.
_

3 Likes

You know there’s something wrong with their scoring metrics when Xanadu isn’t on that list.

1 Like

From the article (emphasis added):

CinemaScore is a company that exit polls moviegoers’ opinions on opening night. It’s been around since 1979, and according to research analyst Harold Mintz, it’s been storing its data since 1986 — or 30-plus years of audiences reacting to movies.

2 Likes

Hmm looking at that I wanna see it just cause Sandahl Bergman is in it.

2 Likes

She’s not really a major part of it. As I recall, no lines and she’s not even a featured dancer. Nevertheless, I highly recommend it. Catchy tunes from ELO, 68-year-old Gene Kelly on roller skates, Michael Beck as perhaps the least likely star of a musical, a cameo from the Tubes, and terrible, terrible choreography.

Director Robert Greenwald went on to direct Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism, Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price, and Making a Killing: Guns, Greed, and the NRA. So, obviously Xanadu must be critiquing some aspect of American culture.

1 Like

Ahh, touché

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.