How Japanese-style business culture applies to today’s new “business normal”

Are you talking business ethics specifically? Because with general etiquette, it’s things like “don’t start eating until everyone has been served.”

I guess that is “know your place” in the sense of “you are not the fucking center of the universe.”

Even the order of silverware in formal place settings, which is often made fun of, is consideration: the person setting the table should arrange them in order that they will be needed, so the person eating can use them in the order they are laid out. No need to think, huh, which fork do I use for this?

1 Like

I am thinking of business ethics and etiquette. The Japanese know to weaponize etiquette into passive aggressive warfare. Especially my in-laws and my wife’s employers. .

3 Likes

Yup. (If the receipts were in order.)

2 Likes

I have read that peculiar-seeming Japanese social behaviors evolved to accommodate too many people with too little land and resources. How do they translate to other situations?

Yeah. I’m not thrilled with the great Japanese business ideals of:

• Male bosses personally going out of their way to critique the attire of their female subordinates
  • Expecting a every employee to have 108% loyalty to the corporation
  • Praising employees for having such a shite work-life balance they sleep at their desks regularly
  • Having such constantly unreasonable expectations of employees that when they fail they tend to kill themselves
  • Expecting workers to be productive while also being obedient to the capricious whims of their superiors outside of work time

I’ll grant american work culture is massively fucked up. But there’s no way you’re going to make me hang out with my boss after hours. No matter how cool or friendly. It’s unhealthy not to keep work and personal time separate.

2 Likes

There are a lot of really sexist parts to Japanese business culture. Like company owners adopting grown-arse men to inherit the business rather than passing it on to their daughters. A lot of the other sexist stuff has already been mentioned in the thread. So that’s a no from me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.