How jeans are distressed at the sweatshop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/27/how-jeans-are-distressed-at-th.html

5 Likes

Truly an unexpected method of manufacture.

1 Like

Surely such treatment will increase the resale value of my automobile.

2 Likes

that thumbnail yo

I came here to say lol.

1 Like

My how times have changed. In the 50’s we were a little ashamed to wear worn out jeans, iron-on patches helped some.

2 Likes

In my rural school, jeans were farmwear more than fashion. Poor kids had to do chores in the same clothes they wore to school. You could tell at a glance where every schoolkid fit on the economic spectrum. Rich kids = dark, un-distressed jeans. Poor kids = sky-blue jeans with frayed hems and seams. My sister and I washed our jeans inside out and added a cupful of vinegar to keep the indigo dye from leaching out in the wash.

7 Likes

Yea, in my era you were a “scrub” if you had clothes that were faded and well-used. especially if thy were hand-me-downs.

2 Likes

When I was a teen, no one would want fake-aged jeans. It would have been so uncool; a sign that you were some kind of poseur. Jeans fade and wear on their own, in a natural pattern. Those “whiskered” jeans would have told everyone your fat haunches needed a larger size.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.