How LaCroix prefers you pronounce its name

Not LaCroix! LaCroix!

(Shout-out to any surviving Get Smart fans out there.)

10 Likes

Nobody should be drinking this **** anyway.

I took French back in the day, so I pronounce it how my prof would have instructed:

LUH-QUAH.

My kids friends’ call it “LAH-CROY.”

And frankly, I don’t give a damn what the company “prefers.”

15 Likes

Many or most French speaking settlers in Wisconsin were Belgian. That layered with some German influence affects most ostensibly French pronounced names and places.

3 Likes

If we’re gonna play the immutable language game, maybe it’s pronounced haec crux?

2 Likes

Just crux.

Haec crux would be cette croix.

2 Likes

Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to speak French.

• P.G. Wodehouse
25 Likes

Given the importance of the article in the name, I thought that using “this” (which is at least conceptually related to “the”) was appropriate, given the lack of articles in Latin.

Also, it’s funnier.

2 Likes

Since when has Y been a vowel :joy:

Wish I could bestow more likes for the Wodehouse quote :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
His stuff is one of my go-to reads when I just need a break from this depressing timeline.

9 Likes

My favorites
Detroit == Di Troyt (should be De Twa)
Fondulac == Fondle Lak (should be Fon Du Lac)
Prairie Du Chien == Prairie Do Shayne (should be Prairie Du Shen)

6 Likes

Why not?

4 Likes

That was rude.

Hyuck, hyuck, those hayseed Midwesterners, amirite?

8 Likes

Obligs:

There is No We And I Aint Playin

7 Likes

Guess my family from Wisconsin is doin’ it rong, they all say Fondulac as a Fon-du-lac. Lac du Flambeau and Praire du Sac are also pronounced mostly as a French person would expect.

Moving on to Michigan, if you want great examples of terrible butchering besides Detroit, let’s talk about Dequindre, Gratiot and Charlevoix.

7 Likes

is that the same beer brewery that made such classic shitty beers as Schmidt (animal beer because they had fish and game on the cans) and Hieleman’s Old Style?
those brews tasted as much like beer as La Croix tastes like… well, anything.

5 Likes

I grew up 45 minutes south of Detroit; never in life have I heard it pronounced ‘Day Twois’, even if that would be correct.

We’re Americans; we steal and bastardize everything.

12 Likes

I use this as my guide on how to pronounce French words

5 Likes

@1000YearBan My thoughts exactly:
Check the Pet Shop Boys banger Absolutely Fabulous for the correct pronunciation

1 Like

Pronunciation guide:
Dequindre - Duh Quin Dur
Gratiot - Gra Shit
Charlevoix - Shar la Voy

3 Likes