How LaCroix prefers you pronounce its name

Easy there, Florida Man! Old Style got me and my chums through university, best super cheap beer available!

@DukeTrout: I withheld those on purpose to make Francophones wonder how those could possibly be butchered. :rage:

5 Likes
2 Likes

Since my father’s side of the family hails from the La Crosse area of Wisconsin, it’s merely an observation based on every single person I’ve ever met from the area since the time I was born.

But if you want to mock them as hayseeds, you do that.

WhY do you ask?

3 Likes

You could use illa, “that”, which iirc is the etymological root of French “la” (as ille is of “le”, again iirc).

3 Likes

Since the 14th century at latest.

In the bigynnyng God made of nouyt heuene and erthe.

– Genesis 1:1, Wycliffe’s Bible, c.1380-1395.

10 Likes

In Missouri:

Versailles == ver-SAILS
Chamois == sham-OYS
New Madrid == New MAD-rid

there are more

6 Likes

That checks as far as French use. :blush:

In one of my high school history classes, our instructor too often had to correct students’ pronunciation of Iroquois. Almost all pronounced it Ear-Ah-Coy. His was Ear-Ah-Quah. Wiki shows it both ways. Either way, possibly ultimately meaningless since the Native American confederacy/group did not refer to itself as Iroquois.

5 Likes

That’s funny; it’s mine as well. And he’s so very quotable (“ He spoke with a certain what-is -it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled”). That, and the Aliens extended universe. I am not a sophisticated man, and I like my comforts.

7 Likes

Please tell me it’s Charlie Voycks

4 Likes

Boeing employees Liaison Engineers. It doesn’t matter what they do, just that they exist. But Boeing pronounces it 'laɪ-ə-sən. I think it’s because liaison is French. You know what else is French?

3 Likes

Whoa, I just went down that rabbit hole, and yes you are totally correct. LaCroix Sparkling Water was started by G. Hellerman Brewing Company, which owns Pabst, and Rainer (my local beer here in Seattle). I hadn’t put those two companies together, but the brand that stuck out the most next to your mention of Schmidt (I co-sign w/ you on Schmidt, BTW) was Colt 45. I remember seeing posters and commercials of Billy Dee Williams for Colt 45 back in the day when he was still basking in the afterglow of Lando Calrissian:

2 Likes

I’ll throw in Duh-boys (Dubouis) and Ver-sales (Versailles) for Ohio

5 Likes

Sometimes that way here in CA.
I’ll just quote this particular one from Wiki:

The city’s full name is “El Paso de Robles”, which in Spanish means “The Pass of the Oaks”.

People differ on the pronunciation of the city’s shortened name of “Paso Robles”. While its Spanish pronunciation is PASS-oh ROH-blays, residents anglicize the pronunciation as PASS-oh ROH-buulz. This anglicized version has been used in the city phone message

1 Like

I was looking for a fun Quebecois pronouncement, akin to “weh” for “oui”. Instead I found that in the Chinook trading language in BC and the PNW, LaCroix would be “La Cloa”. It seems it can mean cross or coat, and now, a drink.
http://www.fortlangley.ca/chinook%20jargon/french.html

1 Like

Yup. I knew this was coming just based on the USVI: Saint Thomas, Saint John, and Saint Croix.

4 Likes

I once saw a stand up (blanking on his name…) who walked out on stage and the first thing he said was “It’s pronounced La-CRO-icks.” And then he just went on with his set.

At least once a month I think of this, and it still cracks me up…

1 Like

It’s pronounced “trash”. The x is silent.

That’s not even the biggest problem with LaCroix. Most flavor seltzer is pretty light in the flavor department. The idea is it’s gonna taste like you squeezed a wedge of lime in your plain seltzer. So I can deal with waved some sun tan lotion over the bottling line.

The bigger problem is it’s not fucking bubbly. It’s less carbed than most mineral water.

Good seltzer hurt.

LaCroix gently wafts.

3 Likes

Live there for a few years, I did!

Jelly  Yet

And yeah, it should be pronounced ‘San Qwah…’ but it’s not.

10 Likes