How long does it take for worms to scarf down a Big Mac and fries?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/21/how-long-does-it-take-for-worm.html

2 Likes

That took considerably longer than I expected.

In my prime I could have done for that meal in under 15 minutes

2 Likes

How long would it take two chickens to eat those meal worms? Just curious.

6 Likes

And then how long would it take a Big Mac and fries to eat those chickens?

It’s the ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiiife…

14 Likes

Big Mac Combo Meal(worms)™

5 Likes

yum

8 Likes

Skimming through headlines, my brain originally saw “How long does it take WOLVES…”. I’d guess considerable less time than this, but maybe I need some science to test my assumptions?

6 Likes

Considering that I’ve seen the barely decayed remnants of a long-forgotten MCD’s meal in a derelict apartment that we were tasked with cleaning out after more than a year of total vacancy, I’m surprised that the mealworms ate it all.

10 Likes

Obviously they super-sized their mealworms order.

3 Likes

I think having that pre-existing critical mass of worms was key - they could eat it before it became inedibly dried out.

5 Likes

How long does it take for worms to scarf down a Big Mac and fries?

Except that’s not what this is.

How long does it take for beetles to scarf down a Big Mac and fries?

1 Like

I haven’t watched the video, but I don’t see the point—I’m sure a single Big Mac is no match for the entire German city of Worms!

2 Likes

I would rather eat the worms than McD’s any day.

1 Like

In my experience with owning a lot of chickens the definitive answer it “it depends.”

I’ve given my chickens a double-handful of big fat worms and they’ve scampered over, pecked at one or two, and then walked away, leaving every worm to escape. Other times the worms last a few seconds. There’s no telling. Dumbest animals on the green earth. Aside from turkeys.

6 Likes

Isn’t that animal abuse?

2 Likes

<very pedant voice> They’re not beetles yet. </vpv>

2 Likes

How not? Larval beetles are still beetles. If they’re not beetles, what are they?

That’s awful. He must not love his worms very much.

1 Like

Eh, drying is an ancient method of food preservation. It works on hamburgers just fine, if they’re not too [forbidden word for humidity] to begin with. Nothing untoward about it.

2 Likes

They’re beetle larvae, clearly.

There’s nothing wrong with calling mealworms “worms” in this context because we’re not submitting this paper to Journal of Entomology. Is a beetle larva a beetle or not? Is a caterpillar a butterfly? Depends on exactly how you need your hairs split.

3 Likes