How low will America’s tabloids stoop to derail Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/16/how-low-will-americas-tablo.html

Self Selection? People who read this conspiracy trash are already Trump’s people.

5 Likes

Can you imagine all the slime the checkout-counter press would be able to paint on Bernie Sanders??

No? Me, neither.

4 Likes

I can. His wife (for example) has a rather tainted reputation in academic circles.

2 Likes

They have no bottom

1 Like

That does it. I’m definitely not voting for Bill Clinton in the 2016 election.

5 Likes

this is from the respected source five thirty eight. how? why? hillary on her deathbed and soon to be indicted for high treason? crice sakes.

If there’s anything I want to read less than the obviously idiotic, histrionic, “Buy Me NOW!” tabloids, it’s a piece by someone describing the idiotic, histrionic tabloids.

9 Likes

14 Likes

What I want to know is how Putin is doing this

What? What kind of publications do you think these are? The Chronicle of Higher Ed.? :joy:

I’m sorry, but when was the last time you saw one of these rags breathlessly report on self-plaigarism or padding a resume? I’m not saying that Bernie (or any politician) can’t be scandalized by them, but these people are looking for dirt, not news. If Sanders was the nominee, Fox news would be talking about her failings as a college president and these tabloids would be talking about how she has a secret penis growing out of her belly-button (WITH PICTURES!!!).

3 Likes

What kind of publications do you think these are? The Chronicle of Higher Ed.?

The CHE changed to tabloid format a couple of years ago. What, you don’t have these at your supermarket checkout counter? At our market today the non-academic tabloids on display had stories on Princess Diana and on some English singer. Nothing on HRC.

1 Like

OMG Not only did she flunk a lie detector test!?!?

Luckily I haven’t learned from reading boingboing over the years that lie detector tests aren’t to be trusted.

Hey it’s probably bullshit, but a reasonable consistency is the hobgoblin of anyone trying to score points.

1 Like

Yeah. Is this the author’s first orbit around the sun? Also, why make himself feel superior jumping on the tabloids, when he could give a more constructive critique to the Rags-That-Pretend-To-Be-The-Silken-Swift, like NYT, Wapo, etc? Oh, that’s right he wrote it BB, the Reader’s Digest of the Wired demog. Christ, I miss Mondo 2000.

1 Like

And… in pointing out the misinformation, isn’t this blog post inadvertantly amplifying it? This stuff is just viral, mental junk-food. Don’t feed the trolls. Wherever there’s a low-information audience/demographic lacking critical thinking skills, there’s an ethically-challenged industry there ready to exploit it. You’ll pretty much never be able to reason these people out of their basic ignorance, fears, sexism and bigotry. Sadly, same as it ever was.

Not to worry, Peter. Clinton is gonna crush Trump like a bug.

I read it here

and here

and here

and here

The people that buy Enquirer LOVE academic gossip.

2 Likes

Wait. You think tabloid pressholes would not be able to come up with lies about someone… if the subject-target was Bernie Sanders?

How would he be immune? Do you think Bernie has some magic deflector spell that would somehow keep professional lying sensationalists from lying sensationally about him?

I mean, you do know the Harry Potter books/movies were not a documentary, right?

3 Likes

That is insane. For fucks sake.

1 Like

After the primaries, the U.S. presidential election pretty much adopts a sports match mentality. Anyone who thinks Trump’s viability rests on his own personal integrity hasn’t been paying attention to U.S. politics.

This is also why the debates amount to fuck-all. Clinton can only lose ground, since Trump’s adamant supporters do not give one-tenth a fuck about truth or competence.

(ETA— Source: I’m a native U.S. citizen.)

2 Likes