How LSD became a brain hemorrhage patient's lifesaver

[Read the post]

1 Like

ā€œHow LSD became a brain hemorrhage patientā€™s lifesaverā€

I thought this piece was about me at firstā€¦

4 Likes

I just want to share this passage from the article: ā€˜At dinner, my enchilada began talking to me. It was not a pleasant conversation. I donā€™t remember the details, except that the enchilada had a strong survival instinct.ā€™

18 Likes

Itā€™s hard to say this w/o sounding like Iā€™m advocating teen drug use, but regular LSD use got me through some very difficult late-teen years. It was an inexpensive respite from some fairly ugly realities.

Iā€™d love to trip now but from what Iā€™ve read zyprexa and hallucinogens are a no-go.

12 Likes

Yah.

I used to occasionally travel on work to Redwood City, and the Caltrain station at that time had some prominent spray-painted graffiti reading ā€œLSD SAVED MY SOULā€. Every time I saw it, I would think ā€œI know exactly what you mean.ā€

11 Likes

Better during dinner, than afterā€¦

2 Likes

I had to read this 3 times before I realized you didnā€™t say echidna.

10 Likes

Itā€™s just like Lockheed warned us!

Yeah, olanzapine is effectively antimatter to most hallucinogenic tryptamines. Mirtazapine ranks a close second, though it doesnā€™t have the antidopaminergic effect necessary to fully abort an LSD trip; olanzapine is dynamite for that.

2 Likes

I had a similar experience. I went off the rails when I turned 16 and got my own car. I spent my junior year pretty much screwing up in every way I could. Alcohol played a major part in those bad choices. By the summer after my junior year I was experimenting with whatever substance I could find and eventually tried LSD. It allowed my to see me and my life from another perspective. I really didnā€™t like what I saw and I started to make changes for the better. Eventually it even helped me tapper my use of LSD down from once a week to once every couple of years. And at this point it has beenā€¦ 8 years since I last used it and I donā€™t feel a particular need to do so any time soon.

5 Likes

Weā€™ll forgive you for being Canadian.

1 Like

I donā€™t think it can be overstated that the power of strong hallucinogens to re-contextualise the content of your life is very difficult to come by using other means. However, itā€™s probably quite important to caution people not to expect a total panacea. I possess, to this day, the capacity to be a total jerk and Iā€™ve done some heroic doses over the years.

Maybe I should be doing them more regularlyā€¦

10 Likes

He should have ordered the Ameglian Major Cow.

4 Likes

Damn, that thing is a ball of concentrated adorbs!

1 Like

400 dollars? To trip in an enclosed suburban house with a bunch of strangers in the throes of grief and Mariah Carey playing on the hi-fi and a hippy guide with no counselling training?
Sounds like it could open the gates of hell. What a horrible, horrible way to trip.
Iā€™ll keep mine for the outdoors and close friends.

5 Likes

LSD saved my soul (ETA: I wrote that before reading the thread), helped me open doors to possibilities (real ones) and paths forward from where I had got stuck after a violent assault when I was 17. I had not perceived my options beforeā€¦

and then, after some good times, LSD told me to stop taking it because it had done its work with me. That was a little freaky, being the only time I have ever heard voices in my life, but it was a very nice voice, and speaking the truth.

Also, too, Sartre. What a trip!

6 Likes

And this ā€¦

As far as yoga-speak goes, Iā€™m still on the Woody Allen side of the mat: ā€œStudents achieving oneness will move ahead to twoness.ā€ Does that mean the feeling I had wasnā€™t authentic? It came from somewhere, from the chemicals in my brain, and the idea that my brainā€”this three-pound electric sponge in my head, made up of 86 billion neurons, with more connections among them than there are stars in the galaxyā€”created it kind of amazes me.

1 Like

and a couple dozen hormone compounds, plus the collective action of whichever gut biome flora youā€™re feeding preferentially, too.

We really are miracles. Each one of us.

1 Like

Yes ā€¦ ā€œspecificity into chaosā€ indeed. I thought the phrase was pretty great. Nice, Pete! And Garfield shouldnā€™t be a dealbreaker. :smiley_cat:

I liked how he shared what was bothering him too.

ā€¦ all the issues I was hoping to address: my terror of death. My chronic insomnia. My on-and-off struggle with depression. My life-is-elsewhere syndrome. My desire to recapture some of the gleeful spontaneity I felt when I first started writing.

I remembered how few shared, safe-feeling social spaces there are and how miraculous a trip can feel when shared with others. Sharing an experience with a helping guide may have contributed as much for him as the LSD dose.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.