How many spiders do you eat in your sleep per year?

Where do they eat boring white Americans? Asking for a friend.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Unless you’re a mouth breather, they crawl up inside your nose.

2 Likes

Spiders, no, they are adept and careful predators. Palmetto bugs, or the American cockroach – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cockroach – are three inches of frenetic dashing and sudden random evasion. And they fly. But not well. Given their size they are only of active ingestive threat to your open-mouthed sleeper. Of which you are certainly not. Or… are you?

2 Likes

I will say this. A few years ago, I felt a sinus infection coming on. I did what I usually do to head this off, a couple of neti pots. After the first go, I blew the saline out of my nose and a dead spider the size of a dime came out onto the tissue.

4 Likes

Pics or it didn’t hap… nah, never mind

4 Likes

Supposedly they taste like peanut butter.
Ponder that while eating your next PB&J.

1 Like

Smooth or crunchy?

2 Likes

But, Why?

1 Like

With the freakishly warm weather the past couple of days, some sort of small, ephemeral flying insects have appeared in large numbers around dusk. Between the size of a gnat and mosquito.

When I stepped out the back door yesterday, I inhaled one. After much coughing, I reflected:

1. I don’t mind wearing a mask, but just to step outside for a minute?!
  2. I would much rather have eaten the damn thing.
2 Likes

Dunno about eating a spider (although certainly possible accidentally), but at least a couple of times a month I get bitten by one, usually because I either rolled over on it in my sleep or it fell on me while I was gardening. Crab spiders are mean little cusses.

1 Like

6 Likes

The moral of the story? Do NOT boop polar bears on the nose!

3 Likes

in America occasionally, other parts of the world too

1 Like

What happens in my sleep, stays in my sleep.

Meanwhile, I live at an elevation with few insects and thus few spiders to eat-em. I see no webs above my bed. Thus I seriously doubt I’m getting a protein blast whilst I toss and turn. But I haven’t rigged a bed-cam so who knows?

1 Like

Are the Guinness people asking… because…

Probably about 5% of the total I eat

The main source of the belief in eating 8 spiders in our sleep came from snopes which claims it got popularized in an article in a computer magazine. Pc pro, iirc. Nobody has managed to be able to find this article. If nobody can find the article, how could that be where it took off?

So the theory doesn’t really make sense. While urban legends about eating bugs in our sleep were always around, it seems like this particular one is only popular because of snopes.

They also have “the repository of lost legends” aka TROLL page which is satire, but the fine print is semi hidden. The spider article isn’t in that section, though.

Some people think the spiders thing might be their paper street. Others think they just did it because it amused them.

Now that they’re a full fledged fact checker, apparently, and not just an urban legends page anymore, it seems unprofessional for either to still be up, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.