How Michelle Wolf blasted open the fictions of journalism in the age of Trump

Awesome. Gave me goosebumps.

1 Like

I carefully read through the transcript of Wolf’s bit and there was nothing I found offensive, or insulting of anyone’s physical appearance, or a disability or other protected category. What I did find was blue language, which is hardly shocking at this event, and honest talk about people’s behavior. Particularly in regards to Huckabee Sanders, the comment about the perfect smokey eye was a clear compliment of how well she does makeup, and maybe even how generally put-together she looks. The hypocrisy and laziness of the outrage is very tiring to me.

12 Likes

And weren’t these rock-ribbed he-men throwing buckets of shade at comedians for being too ‘PC’? All that blather about snowflakes needing safe spaces and such. How do those glass slippers feel ugly step-sister? Hurts don’t it. They’ll just add it to their grievances. There was absolutely zero mocking of her appearance.

I thought Wolf was hilarious, not as good as Colbert, but very very funny and cutting. One or two jokes were kinda groaners and eye rolling duds but all the stuff on Kyin Grimace Sarahjane Huckybooboo were spot on. Anne-tee Coulter? lol!

6 Likes

We’re still waiting on Maggie Haberman to tell us where in the 20-minute set Michelle Wolf criticized Sarah Sanders’ looks. Someone on Twitter asked for the proof and Haberman blocked him. (The Sarah Sanders part of the set last a minute and a half.)

7 Likes

Its all smokey eyes and mirrors.

9 Likes

Methinks Maggie needs her earwax cleaned out by a hungry jungle grub.

3 Likes

Don’t hold your breath while you wait; the only thing that even came close was the “burn facts/smokey eye” comment.

Being extremely generous, Wolfe’s voice wavered a little when she said the word FACTS so maybe Haberman misheard her and thought burning fat was the phrase being used… but even that’s a stretch because ‘burning fat’ is a term commonly associated with weight loss not weight retention.

5 Likes

More like mock-offended. It seems like most of the “outrage” is more manufactured than anything. I mean, yeah, the abortion joke wasn’t very good but most of the material was on the fucking nose.

Some interesting things that I learned from this:
Right wingers and conservative media sure love to dish it out, but they reveal themselves as the true “snowflakes” when they are the ones made fun of.

The White House Correspondents Association has proven themselves to have zero credibility. For being such supposed champions of the First Amendment, they sure didn’t waste any time throwing Ms. Wolf under the bus not even referring to her by name – just as “the entertainer”.

Michelle Wolf is the true winner in all of this – she has managed to make herself a household name overnight (just in time for her new Netflix series), and has handled all the mud that’s been slung at her like a total boss.

14 Likes

Melz, you know the concept of the benefit of doubt doesn’t mean that you have to kill yourself to find possible other explanations for obvious garbage.

But maybe the casual reader doesn’t, so I just feel the urge to do this:

8 Likes

This I do know, and I did say being “EXTREMELY GENEROUS.”

Which I am not, as you may have already realized by this point.

:wink:

I don’t actually think there was any truly objectionable content in Wolfe’s routine;

I think Michelle just freaked out all the opportunists, ass-kissers and enablers with her brutal honesty… especially when she told the entire venue they secretly must love 45, because he’s making them so much revenue as he tears the country apart.

10 Likes

I’m adding “high dudgeon” to my commonly spoken casual lingo - because that totally made me spit my coffee out!

Scammers don’t like being called out.

3 Likes

3 Likes

This is what I heard at first, and then when I realized it was “facts” I thought: Jeez, what an asshole I am.

There were two jokes she made that I thought were in bad taste – three, if you count the Flint thing – but they didn’t involve Sanders.

1 Like

Masha Gessen is awesome! She wrote Autocracy: Rules for Survival right after Trump was elected. Rule #3 is “Institutions will not save you.” She goes on to say “The national press is likely to be among the first institutional victims of Trumpism.”

4 Likes

That wasn’t a joke, though; it’s a fact, and kudos to her for using that huge-ass platform to remind people of such a serious issue.

7 Likes

6 Likes

What, not generous, you? You are confuscating words surely? Maybe its because of my shortfalls in the mastery of the English language, but I would say I always perceived you as someone very warm. Or is it tempered?

You know, the steel thingy.

:wink:

There’s only one word I believe is maybe wrong in this analysis: brutal.

By the way, she’s a good actor, so maybe I’m wrong, but from her voice and her body language I assumed she was quite nervous during that speech.

We will, possibly, at one point in history, come back to this occasion (I wouldn’t call it a routine) and re-watch the footage. I hope we’ll do to have a laugh.

4 Likes

“Brutal” meaning that she pulled no punches and she absolutely did not succumb to sycophancy even once. I’m not saying she was cruel or malicious, just that she didn’t sugar coat or walk on eggshells.

Having seen her other work where she seemed more relaxed and at ease, I’m almost certain there was a fair amount of shaky nerves involved. Can’t blame her.

Me too.

5 Likes

insert whynotboth.gif

2 Likes