How much more black can Barry's Gold Blend be?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/19/how-much-more-black-can-barry.html

2 Likes

Sounds like the set up for a very questionable joke.

3 Likes
8 Likes

None, none more black.

5 Likes

The vanta black of black teas?

8 Likes

Is that really Ireland’s Finest Tea?
I was told long ago that Black Gold=Texas Tea.

6 Likes

This tea leaves lines and stains in every mug I drink it from

That’s an entry-level requirement for proper tea.

16 Likes

Baby bottle sterilizing tablets (or liquid, I guess, but I don’t use that) are good for taking the stains out of cups. Just make up the solution as described and leave it in the cups for an hour or so. Put your toothbrushes in while you’re at it…nobody likes a germy toothbrush :slight_smile: I do this on a weekly basis. No scrubbing required.

6 Likes

That reminds me I need to take my daughter’s retainer away and clean it that way.

A tea thread?

12 Likes

Why does it look red tho?

3 Likes

Exactly. ASDA’s own brand does that. I don’t think I’ve found a tea that doesn’t.

1 Like

Ty-Phoo Extra Strong, all day every day, for me.

I still prefer sweet, iced Earl Grey to black or pekoe, but yes, it must be blacker than my soul.

971079450-tumblr_me2d86gltc1ri1199o1_500

11 Likes

I like Barry’s but they’re fucking Fine Gael grandees so I won’t drink their tea.

When I was younger I could t understand how enraged my granny would get at the sight of the stuff. No longer. Just look at how they don’t give a fuck about housing for ordinary people and how they demonise people on the dole while claiming fraudsters in their party have “paid” simply by having their attempted fraud mocked on social media. Sorry Nana: you were right. Barry’s won’t be in my house.

3 Likes

Gets too expensive. Better to buy loose Brooke Bond Red Label by the kilo at the import store. Why ship tea to GB/Ireland and then here?

1 Like

It’s good malty, Assam-y tea, although it needs milk (for the love of God, not cream), and sugar, the precise number of teaspoons being dependent on your occupation.

1 Like

In my yout’, I subsisted during college on tea bags left to steep until the brew was a stygian black, then adulterated with much sugar and milk. I called it ‘ink’.

3 Likes

I always thought the Lyons vs Barrys thing was a Dublin vs Cork thing. Dubliners drink Lyons, Barrys for everywhere else. Am I wrong? Anyway, despite being a Dub, I grew up in Munster so I switched to Barrys and have never looked back.

1 Like

Or just don’t wash it.

At work, where competition for mugs is stiff, I just let the black build up – result I always have my own mug. Every few weeks when scabs start to fall off I might give it a rinse.

4 Likes