How scientists actually collect magma samples in a bucket

Originally published at: How scientists actually collect magma samples in a bucket | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Hazard pay, that’s what I’n thinking.

6 Likes

Ah cool, I want some. Though I guess you can buy lava rock at the lawn and garden store.

Dude, other than a single glove, they evidently can’t afford a fire proof suit for the poor guy!

3 Likes

Interesting way to instantly boil water.

I’m curious about the coveralls, do they have special protective properties against the heat?

5 Likes

Yikes! That’s a sketchy looking job :open_mouth:

2 Likes

They might, but the sneakers definitely don’t.

4 Likes

It’s all fun and games until the intern accidentally buys a plastic bucket

5 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

11 Likes

watch out for sulphur fumes…

3 Likes

They look very similar to flight suits worn by USAF pilots, which are made with Nomex.

6 Likes

OK, in the clip from 2014, am I imagining things, or did he actually touch the lava flow with his gloved hand, then step on it while he was exiting the frame?

Also, did anyone else get nervous about the way he was slopping that lava around? Like, what would happen if you splattered some onto your shoe or something? OUCH!

1 Like

Performed with the Dunning-Kruger aplomb of a 70s Dad making pancakes.

3 Likes

“regular sampling provides a long-term record of these changes”

I imagine the rocks this guy made today will keep pretty well indeed.

I guess the analogy would hold up if the dad was a professional pancake chef, I suppose?

2 Likes

Ah, it wasn’t my intent to denigrate the geologist. He is very obviously an expert. The 70s Dad, he believes he’s got it down … but even the kids know that he’s doing it all wrong.

1 Like

It’s so much more about the skill and knowledge of the person doing this than the equipment. I am sure with steel toed boots and welders gloves I’d still F it up and lose a body part.

2 Likes

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they’re gone.

Jack Handy “Deep Thoughts”

3 Likes

Actual video of a factory worker gathering filling for products like Hot Pockets and McDonald’s Fruit Pies.

5 Likes

I had a friend who occasionally took LSD before his midnight shift making donuts. His arms were covered with little burn scars from splashing oil, presumably a pain not fully appreciated in the face of being overrun by the lizard people (aka customers) wanting his attention.

1 Like

Um. I don’t think you want heat conductive steel-toed boots in that situation, much like deep winter cold.

I got magma in my bucket
I don’t know what to do with them
I’ve got magma in my bucket
Am I really through with them?

3 Likes