How the CDC would act in a zombie outbreak

Originally published at: How the CDC would act in a zombie outbreak | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Easy one:

Explosion Reaction GIF

Can’t be slowing the economy, now, can we?

19 Likes

People will find a way to turn zombies into a workforce.

16 Likes

See also

Also, the least fictional part of the CDC’s zombie comic

cdc comic clip

11 Likes

turn zombies into a workforce

Check out the ending in Shaun of the Dead. :grimacing:

24 Likes

And if you get bitten by our staff, well, that’s a small price to pay to keep the economy healthy.

11 Likes

Of course, any such advice would need an update based on the latest evidence:

41 Likes

Or vice versa.

6 Likes

I think It is more plausible.

2 Likes

I need no further evidence that the USA will be royally f@cked when the zombie outbreak comes.

And, Good Morning everyone…

5 Likes

Canadian zombies are polite.

6 Likes

Pfft, the real CDC would never admit the virus reanimates deceased people and causes them to hunger for human brains. At least, not in the early stages of the outbreak. They wouldn’t want to alarm anyone, and it’s way too definitive a statement - they’d need excessive amount of proof for extraordinary claims before they’d even hint at it being true. Maybe once it was completely obvious and civilization had already collapsed would it happen.

5 Likes

Maya Rudolph What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

8 Likes

IIRC, Zika can be passed on in semen. Still incredibly inappropriate to blurt out such a question in a professional setting.

9 Likes

Oh, that’s right… That health scare seems like centuries ago now.

10 Likes

2021 was a very long decade, only challenged by 2020

10 Likes

So far, 2022 has been at least two years and it’s only 5 days in…

10 Likes

Yeah sorry I suppose I should have contextualized that better haha. But yes, the situation was that Zika could supposedly be passed through semen and affect newly formed fetuses. So the CFO’s question was weirdly valid while also being hilariously out-of-character and arguably “unprofessional” (for those who care about such a thing).

5 Likes

thanks… I remember that general discussion now about zika and semen in the public discourse. It just seems like a million years ago now, in covid years. The CFOs outburst is hilarious now, but must have been shocking in hindsight!

Strikes me, though, that given zika, swine flu, and other kinds of illnesses that were spreading earlier in the century, we should have been far more prepared for covid, but apparently Trump just threw out Obama’s playbook. We’re fucked because of Trump’s arrogance.

8 Likes

They didn’t just throw out the playbook. They destroyed it, fired anyone who was involved with it, discredited anyone who couldnt be fired and purged all references to it.

During the swine flu pandemic in 2009 I was very involved with the incident management in Wisconsin and Illinois. There was a lot of useful lessons learned and compiled into state and federal strategies for pandemic response. We were very fortunate that the swine flu wasnt as lethal as it could have been, although true numbers of infected and deceased are undoubtedly underreported.

The lessons learned determined that success hinged on having rapid confirmation of pathogen presence, adequate supplies and training at the local level for about two weeks, and then a federal response that could be applied where necessary for as long as necessary, coupled with individual isolation. Basically a nip it in the bud strategy, then concentrate the federal response on the hotspots. We couldn’t foresee back in 2009 that denial would become policy.

11 Likes