How this normal guy got an "influencer meal" at a convenience store chain

Originally published at: How this normal guy got an "influencer meal" at a convenience store chain | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The story lost a bit of its charm when reports came out that Kum & Go’s marketing team had paid Scheele to orchestrate the stunt.

There are very few things that a marketing person with an MBA can’t ruin, frequently including their own campaigns.

11 Likes

I recall a simpler time when a couple of guys noticed there were no Asians amongst the Happy People in the McDonald’s posters, so they made their own and installed it:

Giant fake McDonalds poster still up in restaurant 51 days after being sneaked onto the wall

13 Likes

I’m sorry, what’s the name of the convenience store chain?

12 Likes

The Jizz-n-Whizz, I believe.

16 Likes

14 Likes

At what point does “normal guy” officially become “influencer”?

“I’m not an influencer, I just play one on the internet.”

Same difference.

4 Likes

Now that every 14 year old wants to grow up to be an influencer, the title has lost its cache.

Sort of like how hipsters wouldn’t be caught dead calling themselves hipsters.

1 Like

So he actually is an influencer.

P.S. I owe a Coke to @generic_name

4 Likes

And they all got COVID. So actually, he’s an influenzer.

[/me ducks and runs]

2 Likes

I hope I live long enough to see all the Tik Tok influencers put on a spaceship with all the telephone sanitizers and management consultants.

8 Likes

That’s messed up! Everyone knows the munch comes before the pump!

I’ll show myself out…

This, to me, was peak brilliant. It was subversive, and was humorous enough that (I think) people who might otherwise not be inclined to care paid a bit more attention.

3 Likes

You do realize that if we still employed telephone sanitizers, the whole COVID epidemic could have been avoided?

3 Likes

You know what would be great? Placing an In-N-Out next to a Kum & Go.

1 Like

I saw the videos as it was happening “live”, and I always assume stunts like this are planned or at least get corporate buy in quickly. I still found it funny, and do not find it any less funny to know it was staged.

You know what a “staged prank” is? Comedy :slight_smile: Happens on TV all the time in sitcoms and other media. He just didn’t let people know it was planned ahead of time, which was a mistake.

PS: He has done some other non-sponsored stuff that is quite funny, I do follow his account already.

2 Likes
1 Like

I don’t think you need a full on master’s degree to ruin the integrity of a tiktok influencer.

4 Likes

now that was an awesome prank. those guys really went all out. the picture of them eating at the table where their poster was hanging was very funny.

1 Like

you did this on purpose.

1 Like