How to agree with something Trump does without endorsing trumpism

Pura Vida is being extinguished here. How do you think that is going to play out? Not well.

The few progressive policies that benefit are FAR fewer than the many policies that weaken, corrupt or destroy our democracy. We are facing fascism here and if he has killed TPP so be it. Call it an agreeable victory if you want to make your self feel better but, resistance to everything that asshole does is imperative.

1 Like

Interesting use of Pura Vida. I’m currently living in Costa Rica (where the expression comes from). I don’t think you could ever have mistaken Pura Vida to be in the US. And Pura Vida is not always considered a positive thing here. From what I understand, it basically has two meanings: 1) enjoy life, 2) enjoy life because there’s a whole lot of bad shit that is happening and you have no power to change it.

1 Like

Exactly. You’re never agreeing with him.

How about people just not supprort evil to start off with? The issue is that Trump doesn’t mean what he says unless it’s not in our favor. He doesn’t give a fuck about any of us, unless the “us” in question is the 0.01%

Are you here to demonstrate with expertise? Trump winning seems to have emboldened you in strange ways, you used to care about all of our fates far more before, and now all you do is attack anyone who questions Trump’s sincerity.

1 Like

I think part of it is that we don’t know what Trump’s motives are - and if they even are his motives and not Bannon et al.'s funneled through Trump.

There’s no apparent logic or reasoning behind his actions - despite what they always claim, it never makes real sense. Is it just a smokescreen of incompetence with a much more nefarious end game? We just can’t know. So the only thing that makes sense is to oppose everything they try to accomplish - even if it’s something we might have agreed with in a different time line with a reasonable government.

Perhaps Pura Vida should be added to the American lexicon then. It couldn’t hurt.

1 Like

The closest I can think of in US English is the surfer’s use of “dude”, which is kind of a mix of hello, good-bye, chill out and I’m too stoned to give a fuck.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.