How to clean a flat top grill, restaurant-style

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/29/how-to-clean-a-flat-top-grill.html

4 Likes

Yeah. I still got scars.

Also - never eat out.

3 Likes

WTeverlovingF? When I cooked in restaurants we heated the griddle up, poured cold water on it [sometimes ice cubes] and scrubbed like hell with a scour pad. Repeat until clean.

10 Likes

We used a grill block, oil and salt. Occasionally if we needed acid, we’d squirt some white vinegar or lemon juice into the mix. It was perfectly clean after that.

9 Likes

“ Never eat out.”

Boo - hiss. These days most restaurants have image

4 Likes

Um… Ok, I feel like a lunkhead: are you making a pun? If not, what is a “m o i s t (REALLY BOINGBOING?! You block out that gorgeous word?) free option?”

WHOOSH and other such sentiments.

4 Likes

It’s a vaguely joke like object on my part - the blocking of the word ■■■■■ and getting around that block is a long-standing joke. Apparently- some authors dislike the word.

Coupled with dismay and a double entendre over never eating out.

5 Likes

9 Likes

In my house that is pronounced:
“you’re done when I say you’re done.”

2 Likes

The spray bottle looks a lot like one available from Home Depot for about $3. Great spray bottle!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-32-oz-All-Purpose-Wide-Mouth-Sprayer-FG32HD3-21/205050147

2 Likes

100% The only flat top I ever worked was at McDonalds, but yeah. You scrapped it on the regular while cooking (that grill in the video was NASTY) and hit it with cold water and a scraper, then finished with an emery cloth that was like 200 grit sandpaper. wipe down with clean oil and towels to finish.

3 Likes

worked at a chain called “the Golden Griddle” and maaaaaan did my lungs not appreciate the more toxic degreasers people used there.

taste like burning.

2 Likes

Some of the end runs around the typed prohibition are disturbing. So, when it comes up, my best advice is just duck and cover.

Well they’ve got me steamed! I’m getting positively moíst!

6 Likes

I think more a certain keeper of the banned word list is highly amused by it.

5 Likes

flag%20this

3 Likes

4 Likes

That’s not a grill. I can tell because the liquid didn’t fall between the grill bars.

2 Likes

Does this come in an apron?

Yup, I remember that being more or less the procedure when I had my very own McJob during High School, the cloth I remember wasn’t any sort of emery though, just a very heavy duty sort of cloth specifically for use in cleaning the grill. Speaking of the grill, I can still make myself mentally gag by remembering what the grease traps to either side of it looked like when you pulled them out to empty them. :face_vomiting: