How to cook a steak by pouring lava on it

Originally published at: How to cook a steak by pouring lava on it | Boing Boing

1 Like

Well done, needs ketchup

6 Likes

Guga would be aghast.

5 Likes

That’s a very poor attempt at a black and blue steak.

4 Likes

Ya gotta lava this!

5 Likes

See also:
From what height would you need to drop a steak for it to be cooked when it hit the ground? [XKCD]

14 Likes

Not practical anyway unless you happen to live near an active volcano, and in that case you probably have other more pressing things on your mind.

Does make me wonder if people in the iron or smelting industry ever did this on their lunch break.

4 Likes

He used a “control steak”. :flushed:

1 Like

No thanks. I’m only into locally sourced ‘volcano to table’ meat.

11 Likes

That looks…extra crispy. No thanks

6 Likes

According to some of the origin stories, that’s exactly how the “Pittsburgh Rare” steak came about:

Also, if you’re going to cook with volcanic heat, may I recommend this method from Lanzarote instead, which results in a much more appetising meal:

3 Likes

When I traveled to SF burbs a few years back for work, I found a steak place who had some “lava rock” cooking method. It was the opposite of this (you put the raw steak on a crazy hot lump of lava rock) but cooking wasn’t too bad.

4 Likes

Yes, its called “Pittsburgh rare” and it originated in slapping your raw meat onto a bit of slag, though they usually let the slag cool off a bit so they’d get char and not just ash on the outside of their still raw meat. The saner way to use lava would be to pour it out onto something heatproof, and then use it like a barbecue grill or really hot frying pan.

3 Likes

Ah that’s how they did it

3 Likes

Classic.

2 Likes

It looks like they melted rock in a crucible, which seems like a hella waste of energy to cook a steak. Then again, it’s for the clicks. Mission accomplished.

Relevant:

5 Likes

Really not a good idea to let anything touch newly erupted lava. The surface is usually covered in microscopically thin plates of razor sharp glass. Fresh lava - a few hours to days after cooling often has a beautiful iridescent blue sheen caused by the glass which quickly weathers away. Even after months or years, lava will shred flesh and boots alike.

Having said that, during the very approachable 2010 Fimmvörðuháls eruption, Icelanders were cooking lobster in the shell on the recently cooled flow. No danger of getting glass in their freshly broiled crustacean.

13 Likes

Actually, I worked in a steel mill for quite a bit of my career, and heating and/or cooking food on the furnaces, on slag pots, etc. was a pretty common practice. Everything would have to be wrapped pretty thoroughly in foil, but some of the guys got pretty good at it, and I shared in some tasty meals.

14 Likes

Small headline tweak:

How to cook waste a steak by pouring lava on it

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.