How to enhance chunky soup

This is all nice and good, but do you eat it with a fork or a spoon???

2 Likes

Duh! A forn, obviously. (In before the predictable spork derail.)

2 Likes

One should be able to buy fully-stocked soup. One should not have to subsidize their own soup.

2 Likes

Or a spork.

Or, indeed, fully-souped stock?

3 Likes

I did the same for a while, then I started shopping at the Korean market nearby, and my entire world expanded. The noodles are SO much better, dried and fresh. They also have amazing, cheap produce, meat, and seafood and cheap/easy soup bases. I can eat for weeks on the cheap making variations on soups, rice, and noodle dishes.

and sometimes dumplings.

3 Likes

Twenty six comments, plus the post itself, and not a single Ted Cruz joke? I’m very disappointed in all of you.

Marshmallows and peanut butter are an abomination.

I prefer to add a few dashes of Vodka, or Lillet to my watermelon.

3 Likes

For me to go the full distance is a diced Cajun or Spanish spicy sausage, when i make lentils at home i don’t include it as i sub in mushrooms (i typically don’t cook with meat even though i do occasionally eat it) but its how my mom makes it and its perfection.

2 Likes

I found it soothing, too. Not only does he have an easy-going manner, but there’s no background music competing for attention.

Ok, but the article’s clickbait says he starts with bland soup. Then goes on to add nothing less bland to it.
I was waiting fit the spices! Not even black pepper? It seems his goal was just varying the soup, not making it less bland at all. Another fun way to vary the soup is to buy different varieties of soup. No extra cooking required!

2 Likes

He adds half a pound of caviar and two ghost peppers right at the end

4 Likes

Sadly, my local Asian market died during the great recession and remains empty to this day.

1 Like

Not a fan of lentil soup until some friends introduced me to adding a few splashes of balsamic vinegar after serving. Bright acidity + sweetness contrasting with earthy lentils, carrots and potatoes = delicious. Pretend balsamic, of course. Not the real stuff.

bobtato

January 10

alt bishophicks:
Let’s be honest - he’s making Bachelor Chow

Yes, but he’s demonstrating how to do it with a spirit of corny low-key cheerfulness which I find soothing.

I don’t care for what he’s actually making though, as canned soup and cabbage are bad. My version consists entirely of red lentils, stock cubes, an onion, lemon juice and MSG. It’s surprisingly good, and works well as hermit fuel since you don’t want to be around people after eating lentils anyway. If you’re having a fancy self-date night, you can make a gourmet version by adding carrots.

This is indeed sad. I’ve been considering moving to another city for an amaze opportunity, but there’s no asian markets :o

1 Like

And thank goodness I’m no bachelor…

He didn’t have a porter or stout with that gross meal either. Very disappointing.

Lol look at him. Dude’s been doctoring up soup since the Eisenhower administration and I applaud him for it.

2 Likes

I would like to visit an alternate world where the soup-maker is young and female, and compare the comments in the two worlds.

Me, I like to adulterate my 2 minute noodles (you’d call it ramen) in a similar manner. Discover the Asian grocery for the price and variety - but most supermarkets you’ll find stuff like jars of Tom Yum paste. Get yourself some frozen Asian stirfry vegetable mix, toss in some of that leftover rotisserie chicken (Boil up the carcass for some funky chicken stock) or say half a can of tuna. If you are going fishy think about adding finely chopped dry seaweed.I like to saute some chunky cut onions and mushrooms and then toss that into the soup. If you don’t have fresh mushroom just use thos dry Shiitake mushrooms - just tear them up in small bits - no need to re-hydrate, they’ll get plenty of that in the soup. A dash of miso, fish sauce, mushroom soy, chilli, coriander and either the ramen or better still a pack of Hokkien or Udon noodles - no need need for the flavour packs from the noodles. Don’t forget Fish balls (I quarter them up as the go further in the soup) and if you are feeling flash some of that frozen fried Tofu - which I also quarter up. I do have a bit of a tendency to go overboard and make a massive pot which lasts for several days - but it tastes GREAT.

@ hand2mouse “I would like to visit an alternate world where the soup-maker is young and female, and compare the comments in the two worlds.”
Try this:

2 Likes

Rob is old at heart.

3 Likes