How to fail at marketing to Gen X

Ah… effective Gen X movie nostalgia…

1 Like

Boomers: we made love and did drugs and tried to change the world!
Also boomers: don’t do drugs, free love can kill you now, and please keep paying into my social security benefitts.

Hrmm…
Why don’t they sell us something that fuels out hate for boomers, instead of making us listen to more of their fucking stories?

4 Likes

The ice sign next to an “Alcohol Sales are Final” makes me wonder if I could return the ice?

5 Likes

You know in the first act of Star Trek movies where the Enterprise sweeps majestically across the screen before surging to warp speed? If you replace “the Enterprise” with “total fuckin bullshit”, that’s a perfect image of the current cultural moment.

PS anyone who accepts the premise that “generations” exist has already embraced marketing down to the molecules of their soul so don’t worry about that

3 Likes

Better than that: naming something “Fast Times” is sooooo 1985. We had a teens-only dance club in Arlington, TX named “Fast Times”. By the end of the school year (1986) it had been nicknamed “Slow Times” and then “No Times”. So, this is like nostalgia for making fun of how lame something had become 35 years ago.

How about, nostalgia for the 70s revival (e.g. bell-bottom pants; Carpenters & Abba in the jukebox) that occurred in the 90s?

How about No Small Affair? I watched that one over & over.

1 Like

Night Flight? (I’m still going thru this thread so maybe someone mentioned it)

Suburbia

I never saw Dudes but I’m certain someone else here has.

Oh! Lost Boys!

…and as grownups, watched them (and a fair number of ourselves) vote for Trump. Twice.

I was fortunate enough to be in Austin the summer that it came out (1990; the nationwide release was 1991) but not fortunate enough to have been there the previous summer, when it was filmed.

My 1st year in college, someone in our dorm would rent movies and bring them over, and that was one of them. He also treated us to Eat the Rich and Pink Flamingos.

6 Likes

Thank you for the correction. The makeup of the aliens was very similar, so I will forgive myself.

Enemy Mine was a damn good movie, too. Will have to try to find a Blu-Ray of that one and watch it again.

4 Likes

The term was originally used to refer to people born in the 1930s (by Robert Capa), the 1940s (by Jane Deverson and Charles Hamblett), the 1950s (by Billy Idol), and the 1960s (by Douglas Coupland). Then the advertising and marketing industries decided it really meant people born in the 1970s instead.

So basically anybody over forty can claim Generation X if we want to.

Generation X - Wikipedia

7 Likes

Another excellent film! Showed that to my kid not too long ago… of course, she loved it, as she has great taste…

Except that the way the term was used then and is used now differ. Language that refers to cultural phenomenon isn’t static.

3 Likes

“Putnam said that he and his co-developers decided to target Gen X due to the marketing gap that existed for those born in the range of 1965 to 1980.”

Yep.

First they came for the pink dollar and I said nothing, then they came for the plaid dollar and I said “meh”

5 Likes

I think they mean dialog not dialect. Then again I’m not gen x

Whoa. Don’t be a lamestain dude. Gen X was always coming up with words while rockin the whack slacks while we’re bound and hagged.

2 Likes

Millennials are just rebranded Gen Y.

2 Likes

So, we should never try to understand cultural phenomenon? Because they are “tired” and have no meaning or import, according to you?

2 Likes

You’re right. I meant Gen Z of course

1 Like

I can’t see where I said that.

For sure I think that cultural history is a valid object of study. Popular discourse involving stereotypes based on arbitrary time delineations is not that.

2 Likes

It was fairly contrived, although I love the whole graduation speech scene – it’s a good reminder that many of the tropes that get associated with Millennials today (the whole “we inherited a broken system” whine) is a bit older than that.

2 Likes

Yup. As far as I’m concerned, if you were born after Nov. 5, 1962, you’re not a boomer. Why that date? Anyone younger couldn’t vote in 1980, and it was with Reagan that the late-stage capitalism train started rolling. The cool people had either stopped being cool, or they were too cool to show up at the ballot box. We ended up with our first example of Republicans using a pandemic (HIV) as a biological weapon.

[ETA: yeah, this is very US-centric]

3 Likes

Us X-ers have enough nostalgia as things are: economic collapse, environmental disaster, terrorism, violence in Ireland, threats from Russia… Just dub a bit of “Hospital Of Death” over it all for that 80s British Thrash Metal vibe and we’re good. Unfortunately.

5 Likes

Repo Man and early Penelope Spheeris stuff - Specifically The Decline of Western Civilisation, Suburbia and Dudes.

And Wayne’s World.

See also ‘The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension’.

5 Likes

I wanted to add “here we are now, entertain us!” but everything’s already been said. Screw that!

1 Like