How to fall asleep in two minutes

Falling asleep? Full day of work, chauffeuring kids to and from after school activities, homework help, and cooking and cleaning, this single parent is asleep before head touches pillow.

And if for some reason that doesn’t work, the Federal Acquisition Regulation does the trick. Subpart 16: “Types of Contracts” is a particular favorite, especially the mandatory contract clauses. :sleeping:

6 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard the holy grail in the military is the ability to catch a minute of sleep standing up without falling down.

1 Like

There was a while where I worked two full time jobs in restaurants and would have to snatch bits of sleep when I could. I think that’s where the skill comes in, different than the “just be so exhausted you can’t stay awake,” it’s more about being able to get the sleep in the times when you can, even if they’re odd times or you’re not exhausted right then.
I came up with some good tricks that worked for me, but nothing like in the video. It is a good skill to have, though!

2 Likes

“I did not invent this technique, but I’m definitely going to try it out.”

This guy is going viral for a system he hasn’t tried himself. What a crock.

If I tell my brain not to think, it says back to me: “Good idea. Let’s not think. We won’t think about things like war or famine or death. Speaking of death, I wonder what’s happened on The Walking Dead in the years since I stopped watching? That show really jumped the shark. It’s funny how ‘jump the shark’ is a phrase that literally describes what happened in an episode of Happy Days. Remember how the guy who played the Fonz in that show was also in Scream? And Arrested Development too. I wonder where Arrested Development would have gone if there had been another season…”

And so it goes.

6 Likes

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

6 Likes

Countries that no longer exist

Extinct species of brachiopods

Actors with hyphenated names

Poets who died wealthy and content

GO!

6 Likes

Well, if you’re already using progressive muscle relaxation or meditation as part of a regular routine to calm yourself, basically he’s telling you to go all the way and let yourself fall asleep. It looks to me like it’s worth a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Papasan takes a Napasan.

11 Likes

I’m taking a nap RIGHT NOW!

9 Likes

Yes, at times, I need a bag of hammers to knock me out before 11, and, then, without fail, I regain consciousness at 3:29 a.m. At that time, don’t think’ing is not going to work, as I begin to remember every detail of every reason I needed that bag of hammers to knock me out.

4 Likes

I think @Papasan owns the copyright on that, but I doubt he’ll make a big thing out of it.

5 Likes

I’ve recently taken to meditating before going to bed. Meditation is all well and good, but it doesn’t do squat for helping me fall asleep. And meditating in bed… well, I guess I’m more acutely aware of the passage of time, I suppose.

2 Likes

A Jungian psychologist once got me into a similar system for falling asleep. I wonder if he got it from the military…?

You focus all of your concentration onto your head for a good 15 or 20 seconds, and then you forget your head entirely and focus all of your concentration on your neck, then your chest and so on until you get to your feet. You are supposed to fall asleep before you get to your feet.

It works sometimes…

1 Like

Melatonin, maybe?

5 Likes

Pick a topic, animals, for example. Choose an animal starting with the letter A. Then B, C and so on. If your mind wanders, you bring it back by listing the animals chosen so far. I very seldom get to Z before falling asleep.

3 Likes

I lie down with my eyes closed on the top of a fence.
I normally drop off in a couple of minutes.

8 Likes

annie-hall-forgot-mantra-goldblum

14 Likes

Sleep apnea?

It seemed funny last night, probably because I couldn’t sleep.

5 Likes

May I ask which blood pressure medication you take? I’m on ACE inhibitors + Ca antagonists and I have no such effect.