How to fall asleep in two minutes

100% of people who “master” my technique are able to perform my technique?

Also at least 80% of those who master the art of levitation are able to float in the air

It’s not a dubious claim, it’s a science math!

4 Likes

tumblr_m50gbdR1uK1qj3ir1|nullxnull

8 Likes

My son swears by it. I’ve been hesitant to try. Maybe I’ll give it a whirl.

3 Likes

I think I’d heard this on these boards some years ago, but making a mental list of unrelated items can work for me.

1 Like

Same here!

High Five GIF by CBC

Of course, when I was a kid, all it took was a ride on the school bus for me to fall asleep instantly.

Rest Sleeping GIF by RATP

7 Likes

This is the same technique I was taught in college by the psychologist assigned to work with the swim team (which says something about swimmers, I think.) Works great for just calming nerves to improve performance, and was particularly valuable in med school, since I tend to get jazzed up whenever I am expected to perform at a high level. (Insert “performance” joke of your choice here) My mantra, in my eternal creativity, was “Relax.” But it works if you practice it enough to get good at it. It does take time, though. Adding a guided visualization, which I did later as a sleep aid, can be very helpful as well.

7 Likes

When I’m TRYING to take a nap I lay there focusing on my breathing and then inevitably think some variation of the following -
“Hey! I was just picturing an alligator singing karaoke! I’m falling asleep! Oh, dammit, I’m realizing I was falling asleep so I guess I’m awake again…”

4 Likes

I mean I was using this and mindfulness (as well as other buddhist meditation techniques) to fall asleep anyway, but it’s weird how in the states we slap a “military technique” on something and it becomes some kind of mystical dark art secret.

2 Likes
2 Likes

When insomnia became unbearable, I figured “can’t hurt, might help.” I read to start with a low dose, so I started with 1mg. It works like a charm most nights; sometimes I will go up to 2mg on stressful nights.

It’s not like a sleeping pill in that it doesn’t knock me out, nor do I get groggy from it. Maybe at that low a dose it’s a placebo effect :woman_shrugging:, but it’s been a consistently effective one at any rate.

I have to order the low dosage tablets because the local retailers only stock 5mg and up. I’ve read the higher dosages can give that groggy sleeping pill feeling but can’t speak from personal experience.

4 Likes

Lisinopril

Nope.

I don’t think (see what I’ve done there) it’s gonna work with me…

1 Like

Heh, that image reminds me of this image, which actually might also be something relevant to the thread.

3 Likes

don’t forget the right-angle foregrip and at least two red-dot sights…

1 Like

I used to use, but had three problems IIRC

• possible to develop a tolerance

• groggy all day the next day

• a nightmare which would ordinarily cause the sleeper to regain consciousness briefly, and thus end, can instead go on and on

2 Likes
8 Likes

A lot of friends found melatonin to be a game changer. Mostly those with adhd and kids with adhd. Their side effects seemed to be because of taking too much. It seems to be poorly regulated in the US—often more than the amount printed on the box. Looking on Amazon I’m seeing a lot of 5 or 10mg sizes. It looks like a common, recommended daily dose for an adult to be 0.3 mg to 5 mg. The people I know have gone for the 1mg gummies and cut them up.

The doctors I’ve talked to have been pretty supportive. I don’t take it but was concerned about giving it to our kid. Sorry it didn’t work out for you.

3 Likes

Pre-covid I was travelling a lot for work and flights were just part of my commute. I was so used to the flying routine I’d usually be asleep before they showed us what the oxygen masks looked like. As I recall, the trick was “sit down, be really tired from having to get up early, and know that there’s nothing but boredom ahead for the next few hours.”

1 Like

The lack of regulation is my issue with it. I don’t take anything that hasn’t been prescribed, except for an occasional pin killer. You don’t know what dosage is really in any of these supplements.