How to get back into skateboarding

Originally published at: How to get back into skateboarding | Boing Boing

1 Like

How to get back into skateboarding, even if you broke your back twice…

FIFY

3 Likes

Will definitely read! Last November I fractured my fucking pelvis skateboarding and a guide like that seems useful for people like me.

Wish me luck everyone!

2 Likes

In lieu of luck, wear a helmet and protect your hands. And good luck!

4 Likes

Knee, wrist, elbow pads for me and a helmet if I go near the skatepark :slight_smile: Luck is not needing them.

3 Likes

I once gleamt the cube, and nothing has been the same ever since

2 Likes

Papasan, you’re a godsend!

2 Likes

Wow, there really is a first for everything. Thanks Dude-Person.

1 Like

This post was worth it just for the link to Gleaming The Cube, a “terrible” gem I was not aware of. I enjoy me some Christian Slater and some cheesy ‘80s skate movies, so how this thing escaped me is unknown.

2 Likes

Holy crap… are you me? I’m 48 and just got back into skateboarding after literally 30 years. My story started off, as they all do, drunkenly boasting that I could relearn to ollie up a curb in 1 day. I was gifted a skateboard to shut me up and even managed a terrible kinda-ollie. I concede that it’s harder than I thought it would be/30 years is a looong time/I’m fuggin’ old but so far it’s been a lot of fun. After about 2 months I actually have a functional ollie on-demand and my goal is to kickflip by the end of the year. :grimacing: I also remembered why I stopped back then: it was too hard on my body so… this should go over great now that I’m almost 50.

2 Likes

I can’t skateboard. Not even a little bit. As soon as I step on the board, it shoots out from under me, dumping me on my ass. I’ve tried and tried. I just can’t do it. I also can’t dive head-first into a pool. Again, I’ve tried and tried. I just can’t figure it out. (I can almost do a “racing” type dive, but it still awkwardly close to a belly-flop.)

I picked up long-boarding after a 18 year hiatus last year. I was practicing carving a small hill, leaned too far back and ate pavement. I would have laid there and cried, but honor demanded I chase down my board. I grabbed it in time for some College Kids driving by to yell “Hey Dude you lost your board!”. True Story.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Turning 60 this year and ten years ago, the summer after my oldest child died in my arms, I needed something, anything. One summer day, I thought about how much I loved skateboarding in the 70s. Early adopter but never a trick master, so I headed uptown and walked out of a local board school with a 48" longboard. Best decision I’ve made in decades. I’m a frustrated surfer (a surfer in my heart but only managed it twice in my life) so longboarding and I were a perfect fit. I ride the concrete waves now, in Ohio no less, and only bit it on concrete once, when I was tired after a long day boarding and I stupidly tucked my right foot under the board while pushing off and holding my phone in my left hand. Hit the crete hard, huge scabs along my left arm due to falling on it while saving my phone.

6 Likes

Started again 5 years ago.

Currently recovering from distal radius surgery where much of my wrist is now metal after falling off my penny board at high speed. All of the medical practitioners have been quite impressed with my efforts, commenting that I did “an incredible job”.

Old bones don’t heal quite as well as teenage ones!

3 Likes

My experience with that movies is so thickly slathered in nostalgia I simply cannot imagine what it would be like to view it for the first time now. I hope it brings you more joy than cringe. :smiley:

1 Like

Easiest way to get back on is just to never quit

1 Like

I think a movie like this is more enjoyable in hindsight because of the nostalgia. At the time, it was probably just trash and I would have passed right over it. It’s still trash, but now it’s trash with fondly remembered music, hair, and cars.

my kid brother never quit. he is apparently good at downhill slalom racing, etc…
he asked me why I got out of it

“because motorcycle racing was easeir on my body” was my reply…

I think it is AMAZINGLY cool ya’ll CAN get back into it… I just look at a board, remember my VERT days – and the broken bones… and i wish you all awesome and well… :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.