How to install a trash liner in a trash can the right way

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/how-to-install-a-trash-liner-i.html

2 Likes

doesn’t everyone do it that way?

6 Likes

Sssst, sometimes it needs a knot.

7 Likes

Now that is cheating. How about installing a trash liner into a “non-vented” trash can.

39 Likes

Witchcraft! :fearful:

4 Likes

Yeah that was pretty worthless. I partially inflate the bag and then push it in while holding one corner to allow the air to escape. I was really hoping to find out there was a much easier way!

5 Likes

Use a hole saw to cut a vent hole in the side of the can.

7 Likes

I’ve drilled a couple vent holes near the bottom of my kitchen trash can to make getting the bag out easier when it’s full.

7 Likes

I see a market opportunity for a vented trash can with a rim that can expand to the diameter of the liner. Maybe a simple bellows pump to pull the air out.

Why the trash can and liner industries have not converged on standardized rim/liner diameters is beyond me. So much labor is wasted on tying and adjusting knots in the bags to work around.

2 Likes

I do a little routine which I like to call “The Dance of the Bin Liner”.

3 Likes

That doesn’t work with my trashcan.

1 Like

But, but, but the sack ends up inside out!

3 Likes

You need to install the correct code for the can to communicate with the bag’s licence server.

13 Likes

Please don’t give SimpleHuman any ideas. Have you seen the price of their trash bags sorry, liners? :neutral_face:

It’s best practice that the liner touches the bottom of the receptacle. Throwing an object with any significant weight on top of a liner with a floating bottom risks pulling it from the walls.

3 Likes

Knowing this One Simple Trick™ is going to save me literally seconds every week! Thanks Boing Boing!

3 Likes

That’s great, until one day when the liner leaks and your kitchen fills with the smell of rotting garbage.

They are NEAR the bottom but not at it. I figure it could leak a gallon or two before I was in real trouble.

1 Like

So all I need is a tiny trash can full of holes, and I can “install” a plastic bag in a bin.

Cool story, bro.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.