How to make a shiv with hard, dried fish

Verb: Ludefisking

4 Likes

It is a bonito shaver
http://www.korin.com/Bonito-Shaver_3

Which I believe is pretty much as described by you - other than it is upside down on purpose. Somewhere back in time someone may have taken something from the toolbox and moved it into the kitchen… or the other way.

3 Likes

Oh! I wasn’t aware that it was a separate tool, I only knew about the woodworking planes, so I just assumed he was being clever with it. After all, they do appear pretty much identical, barring the intentional upside-down-ness.

Thank you for the correction! It’s nice to learn something new - I’m admittedly much better with tools than kitchen equipment, even though I’m no slouch on the stove.

1 Like

I’m thinking that getting set up to make my own (actually thought about that one because of a friend who fishes constantly, yet doesn’t really like fish [but still eats what he catches…]) may cost more than pony-ing up the $ for some katsuobushi.

And, yeah, some steels get somewhat pricey, but most aren’t bad at all. Like you mention, if you go for 10XX series, it’s downright cheap. Even Aldo’s custom melts (the low Mn 1075 for example) are cheap compared to the time you put in making a blade. (and to be super debbie downer, even the CPMS30V that you posted from Aldo’s site is relatively cheap. A 3/16" x1.25" x36" bar for $81 is a lot cheaper than the time I’d spend grinding out, heat treating, and finishing out 36" worth of knives…).

But yeah, I get that the entire point of the article is more “shits and giggles” which is why my injection of some reality was distinctly meant as a stupid counterpoint to that bit of whimsy.

1 Like

Well yeah, the time is an investment too, but that’s what a hobby is for. Also, the main group of people who are likely to do this project are going to be people who already use katsuobushi and bonito flakes in their cooking, which is a lot of people.

See, you’re being real/practical again!

I’d bet that most of the people who’d use katsuobushi in their cooking are probably not likely to appreciate a fine dried fermented fish shiv.

What I always found weird is how you can have smoky thin fish shavings that seem like super thin wood shavings, soften when used in cooking, and are dry, but do not seem to swell when boiled in water. They get soft, but don’t go all “poof” like I’d think rehydrated meat would.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.