How to ripen a rock-hard avocado in 10 minutes

my friend, 200F, 600F, and 1100F are different animals. and don’t ask which temp my pants are at.

6 Likes

You can make them less ripe by putting them in the freezer.

9 Likes

Especially pears…

2 Likes

I have not personally tried to cook with them, but i’ve had deep fried avocados which were amazing. And an uncle of mine who is a great cook made homemade pizza from scratch and one of the toppings was avocado. It baked really well with the pizza and was quite great.

3 Likes

Stick the unripe avocados in a brown paper bag for couple days. Voila, ripe!

2 Likes

For example, as off-gassed by the apples or bananas in your fruit dish.

2 Likes

Which temp are your pants at?

2 Likes

let’s just say no avocado can survive it.

6 Likes

The old ‘paper lunch bag with an apple’ works (slowly) for many fruits n veggies, but 10 minutes to ‘ripe’ is way faster. I see this 10min method as a way to maybe include avocado in other dishes (guac… mb)

The ten minute method probably does not produce the sumptuous delight that is a perfect avocado (half of one with a tiny splash of balsamic in the divot - heaven). But if anyone wants to test this I am available for tasting. Much tasting.

3 Likes

Would you prefer we just skip the questions and start referring to you as “captain hotpants” instead?

12 Likes

"Bro, I don’t have a car but do you

"?

1 Like

yes. yes i would.

6 Likes

Balls!

4 Likes

­ ­

4 Likes

Am I the only one picturing @japhroaig wearing these little beauties?

12 Likes

i’d make them look good.

10 Likes

They don’t end up tasting ripe. It’s not bad, but the flavor just isn’t there. You get the nice creamy texture and fattyness but if you actually like the taste of avocado and not just fat then you won’t enjoy this much.

7 Likes

They’re kicking you out for huffing whipits in the dairy aisle, not for what you did after that.

7 Likes

Please post pics

9 Likes

Actually, increasing the concentration of ethylene past about 10 ppm doesn’t speed the ripening process of avocados, so sticking them the in a bag at room temperature with a bruised apple or banana will work just as well.

From the time avocados are harvested, it takes a minimum of 4 days to ripen one. For the first two days, ethylene has no effect because of some anti-ethylene chemicals in just-harvested avocados. Once that period is over, it takes 2-3 days to ripen them once you add ethylene.

5 Likes