How to save money when flying - don't eat

I’ve been traveling more lately, and I’ve found that most airports have reasonable prices for stuff at the restaurants and shops with the only exception being O’Hare; there they love to gouge you. Although I haven’t been to ATL, JFK, or any of the other eastern US airports lately.

1 Like

There really has been a tremendous improvement in the last 5-10 years as airports start competing on food and the quantities went up since nobody was getting food on planes anymore. This allowed the economies of scale that enable fresh reasonably priced food.

1 Like

As someone who gets severely hypoglycemic if I skip meals (as in, lightheaded, can’t think, can’t follow directions, random tears then rage then back again), I can attest that THIS IS REALLY NOT A GREAT THING TO ADVISE ANYONE TO DO.

Just pack a fucking string cheese and piece of fruit. How fucking hard is that.

13 Likes

Fasting to the point of ketosis is a bit extreme. Also, it stinks. I mean, can you imagine being stuck next to a person whose undergoing ketosis for a 16 hour flight? I get a headache just thinking about it…

6 Likes

Gandhi fasted, and he turned into a right bastard.

5 Likes

I’m an easy flyer courtesy of valium and rum, :zzz: but 16 hours of fasting and as Mark Henry says, somebody gonna get their wig split.

5 Likes

I fly a lot, about 95% long haul domestic filghts, some international. The cost of food between home and hotel never even crosses my mind, it’s literally the least of my travel expenses.

In my experience, all but the cheapest of the cheap carriers offer complimentary non-alcoholic beverages on all flights, and complimentary meals in coach on international flights.

What’s so difficult about packing food in your carry-on bag? :bento:
I pack a lunch because you never know when (if) they will get around to food service in coach. Pretty much anything except liquids & gels will make it through airport security. Flying internationally you do need to be aware of rules about things like fresh fruit, but nobody checks for these at departure, so just make sure you consume your fruit on the first leg of your trip.:apple:

Having experienced airline food, I carry nutrient-dense snacks. Fancy granola bars are easy to pack in a side pocket of any laptop bag. Or if you’re both cheap and picky, make your own trail mix at home. Carry an empty bottle and packets of Tang. fill up at a water fountain past security and you’re safe from thirst and scurvy even if drink service is canceled due to turbulence.

12 Likes

I’d murder you all in exchange for the ability to control my digestive system by regulating one variable. I literally have to keep a camouflage bucket in my room in case I wake up vomiting for some reason like I ate solids on a day that was more than 85f or today soy protein makes me sick and next week it will be whey.

Literally 80% of my calories are now whole chocolate milk (240cal per 8oz x 4, yeah I’m sub 1500 most days) because basically I’d rather just do that than throw up randomly.

6 Likes

How to save money at home - don’t eat.

3 Likes

Culturally, yes. Biologically, no.

Half-joking, of course—that half being the Y chromosome.

I’ve had inadvertent fasts on long haul flights when they mess up my kosher meal order. Not fun.

3 Likes

Jeezus man, that’s horrid. I’m so sorry.

7 Likes

I’ve managed to turn it into a martyr fetish so it all works out in the end.

14 Likes

Money?

No jet lag is the real story here (if reproducible)

[quote=“DukeTrout, post:38, topic:88279, full:true”]
There are airports that have specific rules that mandate that goods and services sold in the airport must be priced the same as outside the airport.[/quote]
Unfortunately the concessions are run by Nieman Marcus.

2 Likes

Not permitted for most of the flights I take. We have to go through special fruit scanners.

Where are you flying? I’ve never had a problem taking things out and onto the plane. Just bringing them off and into the new place.

Honolulu. No fruit in, no fruit out.

1 Like

Why do much hate about a short fast. Most religions have fasting at some time.

The human body is well adapted to go without food for up to a month with no ill effects. It’s uncomfortable in the later part of the first 46-72 hours but then the ketones your body starts to produce flood your brain and you start thinking as clear as you ever have. It’s like a fog had lifted.

After seeing that you won’t actually die without a meal or two it transforms your relationship with food. You eat on your terms. You can stop being a slave to the clock. You realize that hunger is what the children in Africa experience and what you’re feeling is your body trying to maintain the status quo.

Who eats on plane flights?

9 Likes