How to see the extraordinary "supermoon" on Monday

Fucking A, say that again, louder.

So many people right now are crowing about having “been right”, like it pays a 6 figure salary; so caught up in their momentary glee that they overlook the dire consequences for so many people.

3 Likes

“I’d far rather be happy than right any day."
“And are you?”
“No. That’s where it all falls down, of course.”
“Pity”, said Arthur. "It sounded like rather a good lifestyle otherwise.”

11 Likes

I’m going to paint it!

6 Likes

I’m in favour of stronger critical thinking skills in all cases.

Maybe if people learn to recognize harmless misconceptions, it’ll help them recognize the more harmful ones.

4 Likes

Even in fantasy and escapism?

Have you met ‘people?’

It’s like Seinfeld; in general, there’s no learning, no growing.

3 Likes

OK, this wins for the dumbest headline of the year. And I agree with others, this super moon, blue moon, bla-bla moon stuff needs to stop. The moon has been circling the earth for billions of years. Its not news unless it disappears.

Actually it confuses those who are astronomically challenged. They will go out, see that the moon looks to them like it always does and then never pay attention articles about TRUE astronomical events. This is like crying wolf astronomically speaking.

1 Like

*sighs

Never.

Fucking.

MIND.

4 Likes

Supermoon? Meh. I’ll wait for the Batmoon.

12 Likes

Yes.

When I read Terry Goodkind’s Faith of the Fallen, and how he transformed a dystopian community into a utopian one, all through the power of CAPITALISM (making a profit the whole time), it makes me reflect on capitalism and its failings.

When I read FILM CRIT HULK’s reviews of superhero movies, it makes me think of how to be a better author, and of what messages are being sent, both consciously and unconsciously, by a superhero movie, or a Bond film, both of which are extraordinarily escapist.

When I watch Anita Sarkeesian’s critiques about women in video games (pretty much the height of escapist media), it makes me see how real-life women are treated differently in real life, and that the world looks very differently from other perspectives.

The best stories are the ones that teach us things about the world around us today. “Fantasy” stories are what made me look critically at, and eventually disown, my patriarchal religion, my teenage homo- and transphobia, and my belief that people who were raised to different moral standards than mine are “evil” and subhuman.

@ChargingSkies linked the Bad Astronomy blog; that blog posts a dozen pictures a week of awesome celestial images that no one has seen before. There is enough wonderful stuff in this skies that we don’t have to lie about how wonderful the mundane is, especially when the moon is quite wonderful without any exaggeration.

I disagree. In the last decade - the last fifty, and hundred, and thousand years, we have learned much. We have grown much.

“'The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

2 Likes

Sorry; I stopped reading everything else you wrote at that point.

Not to be rude, because rest assured that I have much respect for you as a member of this community… but I need my whimsy and my escapism to cope right now.

I need to not over-analyse everything in my field of perception at this very moment.

And you… are not helping.

So forgive me for even starting the conversation.

I’ll go look at the moon, and you won’t; and nothing whatsoever will change because of those choices.

Done deal.

Have a great day.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Don’t forget, two weeks later is the Super New Moon!
Here’s a picture of the last one I saw…

10 Likes

The moon’s orbit around Earth is slightly elliptical so sometimes it is closer…

Any hope it will crash into Earth?

No?

Damn.

2 Likes

This morning we breathe. Tonight we look at the moon.

And in between, we fortify ourselves and our allies.

Strength one step at a time.

via

5 Likes

the Evil Supply Company?

1 Like

Ah, but 30% brighter than apogee is pretty obvious isn’t it?

1 Like

Do you know of some other place that I can get a “Positivity in Necromancy” patch?

3 Likes

Now that you mention it, no.

Is that for being absolutely certain that one is unable resurrect the dead?

2 Likes

Perhaps I’m “astronomically challenged” but I always get a little thrill at seeing the moon. So whether it’s 30 per cent brighter or not, or slightly larger (but not to the naked/untrained eye), I’m going to enjoy seeing it. Besides, it’s a reminder that another day has passed and we are going to survive this.

3 Likes

Aren’t we due for that runaway comet hurtling between the Earth and the Moon? I want a Mok of my very own!