How to see the extraordinary "supermoon" on Monday

The moon will be so close it will appear as big as the sun in the daytime sky! /s

Would you say…

“That’s no supermoon…”

?

(Sorry, couldn’t resist. Equally, couldn’t believe no-one else couldn’t resist before me)

4 Likes

Now THAT would be something to see.

1 Like

What really blew my mind was the first time I actually noticed the moon (and the stars, for that matter) moving across the sky. Or rather, the Earth rotating under the sky. It still gives me a sense of wonder.

For those who’ve never done this: find a good, comfortable viewing position, with some reference object like a tree branch or utility pole near by. Position yourself so the the reference object appears right next to the moon, then be still for a few minutes and watch as the moon moves relative to the stationary object. Also works for stars and planets - anything in the celestial sphere.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I went out tonight to get ready for shooting tomorrow’s Supermoon. As a moon it wasn’t noticeably different brightness/size-wise, but it’s still a moon, and both very lovely and a pain to photograph. My tripod broke so this was hand-held (!)

4 Likes

Nicely done. Did you brace against something to keep it steady?

1 Like

Supermoon?.

5 Likes

Yep, took a towel outside and braced against the roof of my car. Then deleted a lot of blurry shots from my shaky hands.

3 Likes

I picked up one of my favorite camera stabillization alternatives after reading a book by the late nature / climbing photographer Galen Rowell. He always carried a bean bag.

Good Ol’ Moon Base Alpha.

Where is Eagle One these days?

1 Like

agreed. if you want to get people interested in astronomy, calling it the Full Beaver Moon is a much better tactic.

1 Like

I got a nice view out of it. A wisp of cloud came through and a giant eye was looking down on me all evening.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.