How to talk about Trump using trumpspeak (and why you should)

And we might keep in mind that we do. Trump is a wrecking ball, but he came in with record low approval, after losing the popular vote by millions even in an election with low turnout. Polls didn’t expect his win, and I think there is good argument that this is because it really was against the odds, made possible only by many factors all happening to go his way.

That doesn’t mean we don’t need to work at those. Very much the opposite – a leader like him is too damaging to leave to a saving throw, and many of them were things we need to work at anyway, like voter suppression or neglect of rust belt communities. There are all sorts of things the Democratic party should have been doing long ago.

But let’s not assume that all progressivism has been failing and we need to become just like him, to adopt all his manners and tactics and start fighting on his choice of field, because he’s what all success and popularity with real Americans looks like in this era. He’s not.

6 Likes

So, here’s my take on Trumpspeak: he lies constantly. This man is pathological, imo.

Populist? For the common man? Represents the Middle? Wants to help America?

I call bullshit.

This man has hired billionaires for his cabinet, is putting his boot on the common man, is representing the business elite who give two shits about the common man, and is helping himself and his oligarchical cronies to more of America’s coffers…

He’s lied to our faces, reneged on promises in complicated ways that the bell curve might not fathom unless you experts spell it out simply, so get to work, my friends, for the Republic may be at stake…

Speak and emote to the bell curve, and we can muzzle this perv.

Outlier has new meaning these days, and T’s an out liar. Hold him to account, media. Every. word. must. be. checked. and. cross. checked. Report the truth, and it will set us free…

1 Like

Let me just remind everyone we’re talking about the folks who voted for Trump here.

3 Likes

I think it’s fine to use whatever rhetoric you can to get rid of that incompetent nut job.

But I don’t think it’ll work – because the real root of the problem isn’t rhetoric, it’s information access. Trump won because the people we’re now talking about trying to reach with more effective rhetoric live in a Fox News / Tea Party / Trump Tweet information bubble. They’re simply not getting the same information the rest of are. Even now, they’re hearing a different narrative from ours about what’s been happening these last two weeks.

Their situation is identical to that of the young terrorists who get radicalized by YouTube videos.

I don’t have an answer, but I feel that that, not rhetoric, is the problem that has to be solved.

9 Likes

This is the heart of it, right there.

We’re talking about a large group of people who have been radicalized by (a radical subset of) the media. They are literally willing to be suicide bombers. That’s what their vote was.

Is there a proven method for bringing back this sort of terrorist from the brink? That’s what we need to use.

7 Likes

Everybody noticed that this article is a total disaster. Everybody. Internet denizens, boing boing supporters, everyone. It was not even noticed in twitter. An embarrassment. It’s obvious. We need to stop using that language.

1 Like

We could maybe drop a safe or a piano on Rupert Murdoch? At the very least, it’d cheer me up.

6 Likes

I’m sorry but I think most people are missing Moore’s point. It isn’t about speaking smarter vs dumber, or college vs 8th grade, or how smart or ignorant his audience is. That whole line of argument is defined by a single axis of facts and logic, spanning from simpler to more complex.

Trump and his supporters aren’t on that axis at all, and that is why they will never be convinced by a logical argument. The two sides are whooshing past each other, thinking the other side is amazingly clueless.

Trump is speaking, and his audience is reacting, to a completely orthogonal axis of communication: emotion and instinct, not facts and rigor. Its effectiveness is based on biology and brain function, and works much better than cognitive arguments. He is speaking to the animalistic limbic system, not the gray matter.

It has become clear from modern brain science that people, even smart people that are convinced they base their positions on logic, actually make up their minds about an issue instinctively and quickly, and then their cognitive functions kick in to justify that position.

Your gut instinct can be changed, but it takes lots of learning and study and repetition over time, to move cognitive conclusions down a level to where they start to become a “gut feeling”. Academic and thoughtful people tend to be fairly good at that. But even then, the conclusions don’t descend deep enough to override the hard-wired instincts such as fear, love, tribalism, loyalty, etc. These are deeply hardwired to varying degrees in all animals, even those that don’t “think”. Intellectual thinkers, when they have time to analyze before reacting, have learned to override their animal brains with learning and experience. But when there is no time to think, or when a stimulus is strong enough, even they react based on animal instincts not logic.

Some people are very good at bypassing a person’s ability to think, and to trigger their instinctive reactions. Hypnotists do this very well, and so do cult-leaders. Neuro-linguistic programming, Pavlovian conditioning, peer pressure, love-bombing, are all different techniques that can be used to bypass people’s ability to think logically, even very smart people, and get them to react emotionally. There is science that proves it, and it works even if a person knows it is happening. It is the way the brain works.

For example, if someone is exposed to an idea or an experience when they are angry or fearful and their brain is awash in adrenaline, they will remember it for a MUCH longer time than if they are exposed to the same idea when they are calm and thoughtful. It’s as if the chemicals soften the brain and make it receptive to an intruding idea, and then when the chemicals subside, the brain hardens around the memory. It’s biology.

Trump uses mind-manipulation techniques in his speech patterns. He gets people angry, then points to a scapegoat. He confuses you with conflicting words and language, and when your conscious mind is distracted by trying to make sense of the nonsense, he throws a dart into your subconscious, and it solidifies there when the the emotions subside.

Trump may not even knowingly be doing this, he might just have a talent for it, but he is doing it. Fox news does it too. If you can stand it, try watching some Fox News programs, and watch for the language they use to get you angry about an event, and then at the peak of your emotion, they toss in derisive remarks about Obama, or liberals, or some other bogeyman of the day. They don’t go by the same playbook as other stations. They don’t even try to be objective or even-handed. They try to get you to think what they want you to think. And the techniques have primed their viewer’s brains to be susceptible to Trump.

So I believe what Moore was saying is that if you are trying to reach these people through facts and logic you are lost. That isn’t where the battle is being fought, and it isn’t going to win where the battle is being fought.

12 Likes

How about he’s placed under a block of gold equal in value to his net worth.

…Hey, maybe that should happen to everyone.

2 Likes

There are so many people barely scraping by in the U.S. for whom this would be a moot threat.

And then there are the members of Trump’s cabinet, anyone one of whom would be immediately turned into meat paste.

4 Likes

Most of us would lose it in our hair.

4 Likes

The quote marks around evil are a standing invitation to deconstructionists.

5 Likes

I respect your opinion, but I do find it amusing that you just typed a 700-word comment to say “short emotional arguments work better than long complex arguments.” :wink:

17 Likes

I feel your pain.

2 Likes

Touché. To paraphrase someone famous, if I had had more time, I would have written a shorter reply. Sorry about that.

17 Likes

Good post, this kind of language is indeed addressing the “reptilian” brain. And that may be an even bigger problem: that part of the human brain dates back hundred of thousands year back and has little evolved since then. It’s language is ill adapted to modern concepts and a lot more to the “us versus them” discourse, which often lead to “kill THEM all, plunder their crops and rape their women”. You’ll find countless examples in history.

Addressing the “reptilian” brain of the masses is probably not such a great idea.

3 Likes

It’s a hard sell to ask that of educated and thoughtful people who’ve been trained not to make arguments from emotion and instinct, harder perhaps than asking them to dumb down their language (which at least can be faked by the cynical). The article is suggesting they do both. Also, choosing to fight on the preferred territory of one’s opponent is a basic tactical error. Hence the negative reaction to the article.

3 Likes

I’m in total agreement. It is a hard sell, and it may be impossible for someone who values intellectual achievement over emotional manipulation to change tactics so dramatically (myself included). I think someone has to learn to do it though. It’s hard to successfully use a rapier, no matter how masterful you are, against a biochemical weapon. The rules of this conflict are different.

Making objective, factual arguments works well if you are trying to discern, or convey, the truth about the world. Trump is not concerned with truth at all. It isn’t even on his radar screen. And his followers are fine with that. I am aghast at how you can point out Trump’s lies to them, and they simply laugh it off. They really don’t care. Trump’s goals have nothing to do with truth. They have to do with power and control, and the satisfaction he gets from manipulating people. Debating about what is true, is tilting at windmills. There is no one arguing back. They are on the playground beating up another nerd.

Here’s another relevant point. I believe some experiments have shown that using facts and logic to try to convert someone with a strongly opposing viewpoint rarely works. In fact it may be counterproductive. Their ego hears “this person is telling me I’m wrong, and I need to defend myself” resulting in their stiffening their resolve. A more effective means to convert someone to your point of view is to not debate them at all. Simply be friendly, charming, non-confrontational, and vulnerable. Don’t even talk about facts. They will stop being defensive, and start to feel empathetic. That builds bridges, and changes minds.

10 Likes

@jerwin’s comment above reminds me of someone who was adept at doing it: Bill Clinton. For all the mockery of his chewing his lip and saying “I feel your pain,” he really had the touch when it came to connecting with people, liberal and conservative, on that emotional and instinctual level. At the same time, he was obviously very intelligent, educated and wonky on the issues. Obama had that combination as well, although its effect was diluted by racism.

Absolutely. Last year my buddy and I were doing our annual road trip and passed through what we knew to be a conservative area of the state we were in. We decided to stop into a pawn shop, the kind that’s really a gun shop, and look around. The owners recognised us for the liberal city boys we were and tried to bait us a little about our presumed fear of firearms. We didn’t rise to the political “de-bait”. Instead, we engaged them in the friendly and non-confrontational way you describe, showing interest in and discussing the weapons. They were a little surprised to see that not only were we not frightened of the weapons but that (for various reasons) a geeky liberal like myself knew quite a bit about them. It was a nice, easy-going conversation that didn’t touch on politics but may have done a little to change their assumptions about urban liberals who support gun control.

5 Likes

I’m a greenhorn in my trade. One of the old-timers (I use that phrase affectionately, by the way) I work with–let’s call him Mike–was openly supportive of Trump during the several weeks right before the 2016 general election. We never talked about it. It just seemed to be a tacit, mutual agreement between us. I was here to learn, he wanted to help with that, and both of us wanted to get shit done because that’s our job. If sweeping political differences under the rug was somehow instrumental to all this, so be it.

Within less than a month of my arrival at the shop, he made himself stand out from the others. I have conditional asthma (‘conditional’ = requires environmental trigger, of which there are plenty in a sheet metal shop). It took some time to get respirator clearance and in the interim, I was miserable. A fifty-pound industrial fan was my ball-and-chain during those few weeks, having to lug it around the shop to wherever I was working where there were nearby fumes, vapors, or fine particulates–which is to say, pretty much everywhere. And some days the air was so bad that I had to drop what I was doing, step outside, take a couple puffs from my inhaler, and wait for my breath to return.

Mike was the only one in the shop to set aside his own work, walk towards the door, and ask me if I was OK.

That gesture of kindness may well have reset the course of our coworker relationship. The day before Thanksgiving I walked by his station and saw a ‘Happy Birthday’ balloon tied to his work cart. After my shift, I went to the gas station to buy him a tin of his favorite tobacco. Gave it to him with a pat on the back and a wish of ‘happy birthday’. He blushed and stammered ‘thank you’.

By now, he almost certainly knows I’m a staunch lefty (word travels at the speed of gossip in a union shop). He most definitely knows I’m a hard worker and determined to be a better one at the end of my shift, every day. I am happy to destroy the pseudo-stereotype of ‘the lazy liberal’ and glad to be doing so through action, not words.

Anyway, we get along just fine now.

8 Likes