How to unlock a door chain from the outside using tape and a rubber band

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/how-to-unlock-a-door-chain-fro.html

5 Likes

Why couldn’t the guy filming from the inside just undo the chain?

16 Likes

My chunky arms won’t fit through the available opening, so you’re all safe from me.

Unless there’s some other way to defeat a door chain…

4 Likes

Eat that lock picking lawyer!

9 Likes

Love the thug speak. Long live the Queen’s English.

Door chain worked quite well for me in Singapore. The hotel had mucked up and give the same room to myself and a Chinese family. Their card worked but they got stopped by the chain. I watched them work on the chain for a few minutes until I pushed the door closed.

Until that point it didn’t seem to occur to them that there had to be somebody inside the room.

2 Likes

Or they were used to people locking a door chain from the outside.

1 Like

The power of a comma…

20 Likes

This trick only works if nobody’s around to slam the door on your arm while you’re trying. In which case nobody gonna look through the peephole either.

5 Likes
1 Like

If someone uses the chain and you are on the outside and do not realize it has been engaged: you get a broken chain or hardware when you open the door. This has been my experience.

1 Like

4 Likes

Kojack that door!

3 Likes

Oh. I couldn’t figure out why someone responded to this with an exhortation to eat the lock-picking lawyer… I though it was some sort of “eat the rich” reference I wasn’t getting.

1 Like

I can never find Scotch Tape when I need it.

8 Likes

For most of those safety chains, that’s overkill. Try this instead:

3 Likes

You all know this is epic, right?

Peephole? My front door has a pane of toughened glass down the middle, sneaking in isn’t an option!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.