How videogame warriors escape the game grid

Sort of like a Mortal Kombat tournament premise, I suppose? Or one could flesh it out like Dragonslayer or Krull, perhaps.

One of my favorite old school games.

1 Like

Obligatory.

1 Like

Me too! Of all the video game properties, knights on flying ostrich things is so weird that it just naturally leads to cool story ideas. That and Yar’s Revenge. What was he seeking revenge for??

1 Like

I just love that Wendy Carlos was used to not only create the music for TRON but some of the sound fx used in the movie. My friend had the “Story of TRON” record and we used to slow it waaaaay down to get the details on some of those cool synth sounds, like when Sark presses the START button for the light-cycle game. That tiny little sequence of blips is really cool when you can actually hear it.

2 Likes

How many times have I watched this scene only to notice now a few things I hadn’t paid close attention to:

1. When blue bike crashes into the wall, he makes a sizable hole. Look how thick that wall is!
  2. When blue bike’s “jet trail” sinks into the floor, gold bike had already been committed to driving full-speed directly at it.
  3. The walls of the game grid are decorated with abstract numbers and mathematical symbols. “0 1 pi7 2 8 6 division 3 9” “<=> 4 pi 8” . I wonder if it has any meaning to the creators (looks like abstract design choices to my eye)
  4. Red and orange bikes leave together, but two orange trails sink into the ground when the recognizer stomps.
  5. At 1:39, what exactly was blue bike’s strategy? :thinking:
  6. After escape, one bike turns green?

Yep, this was a case where the uncanny valley made sense. It would have been even more interesting if more of the programs had that effect, to show the difference between newer programs, older programs and the trapped users.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.